BBQ Chicken Quesadillas are a fun twist on a delicious pizza! Stuffed with shredded chicken, lots of cheese, and BBQ sauce they’ll be the star of any party!
BBQ Chicken Quesadillas will be your new favorite game day appetizer! We are a big football family and we love to have people over to the house for the big game.
I love making this recipe for potlucks so everyone can grab a slice. It’s so much fun to try everyone’s favorites dishes! These chicken quesadillas disappear almost before you can get them on the table.
Want more unique quesadilla appetizer recipes? Check out Philly Cheesesteak Quesadillas.
BBQ CHICKEN QUESADILLAS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your APPETIZERS pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
This quesadilla was inspired by my favorite BBQ chicken pizza from one of my favorite restaurants back home in California. The best thing about making quesadillas is that there is no right or wrong way to make them! You can use as much or as little as you like of the ingredients like you would with a pizza.
Ingredients in BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
- Mozzarella cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Shredded cooked chicken breast
- Red onion
- Barbecue sauce
Soft taco size tortillas are perfect for this chicken quesadilla recipe. I like to buy the flour kind for making quesadillas.
I highly recommend buying a fresh bunch of cilantro from your local grocer’s produce section. Don’t be afraid to smell before you buy – you want cilantro that is bright green, crisp, and fragrant. If cilantro tastes like soap to you, switch out for some thinly sliced green onions instead.
Don’t want to spend your day cooking and shredding chicken for this BBQ Chicken Quesadilla recipe? Simply buy a rotisserie chicken from your grocer’s deli and pull the chicken from the bone. It’s an easy solution!
Leftover Instant Pot Chicken Breasts from the night before is another quick prep option. Cook once, eat twice friends!
Tip: Buy the blocks of mozzarella and cheddar and shred them yourself instead of buying bagged cheese. The super creamy texture of home-shredded cheese is essential for the best quesadillas.
How to Make BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
- Grab a large skillet and place it on your stovetop over medium to medium-high heat.
- Place one flour tortilla in your pan and cover it with a layer of mozzarella cheese. Top the cheese with chicken, onion, and cilantro.
- Add some cheddar over the chicken layer and drizzle barbecue sauce on the cheese. Place another tortilla on top. Press down on the quesadilla with a spatula.
- When your quesadilla has browned on the bottom, flip it with a spatula and brown the other side.
- Once the cheese is melted and your quesadilla is golden brown, transfer it to a cutting board. Cut your quesadillas into 4 triangles. You can use a pizza cutter to make this easier if you want.
- Keep making quesadillas until you’ve gone through all the ingredients.
- Serve these quesadillas warm with more BBQ sauce (and maybe even some sour cream) for dipping. I like to sprinkle a little extra cilantro on top to make things pretty.
What kind of cheese is best for a quesadilla?
Ideally, you want a cheese that is super melty and ooey-gooey. That’s why I used both mozzarella and cheddar cheeses in this barbecue chicken recipe. You could also use Monterey Jack, Fontina, Provolone, or a shredded Mexican blend.
More quick and easy bites!
- BBQ Chicken Pizza
- BBQ Chicken Potato Skins
- BBQ Ranch Chicken Tacos
- Hawaiian Quesadillas
- Jalapeno Popper Quesadillas
- More APPETIZER recipes…
Tools used to make BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
Large Skillet: A stainless steel skillet is big enough to make family dinners, but versatile enough to for all your kitchen needs.
Spatula: I always keep this spatula on hand. The high-quality material makes it strong enough to use for with heavy cuts of meat and more while cooking.
*This post originally posted on 01/29/2013.
- 8 soft taco flour tortillas (8-inch tortillas)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 1 cup red onion peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Place a large skillet over medium heat.
- Lay down one tortilla in the skillet and sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Top the mozzarella with a layer of 1/2 cup chicken, 1/4 cup red onion, and 2 tablespoons cilantro. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheddar cheese on the chicken and drizzle with 1/4 cup BBQ sauce.
- Lay a second tortilla on top and press down.
- Allow the bottom tortilla to brown and then flip the quesadilla over to cook the other side.
- Once the cheese is melted and tortillas are toasty, remove from skillet to a cutting board.
- Cut quesadilla into 4 pieces. Repeat with remaining tortillas and ingredients.
- Serve warm with more BBQ sauce for dipping. Garnish with cilantro if desired.