Bright lemon & juicy blackberries come together perfectly in this easy to make yet elegant LEMON AND BLACKBERRY CLAFOUTIS!
With Mother’s Day just around the corner, I decided to come up with a dessert recipe that would serve as a sweet tribute to not only my mother but to my grandmother as well. My mother has always had a soft spot for anything lemon flavored or lemon-scented. I mean, don’t get me wrong- my mom has never been known to pass up a good piece of chocolate, but she has always had a soft spot for all the lemon things. And when I think of blackberries, I can’t help but recall fond memories of picking wild blackberries with my grandma in the heat of summer. We would come back from our berry picking adventures with buckets brimming full of fresh, juicy blackberries and purple-stained fingers (and mouths). Some of these blackberries would be made into blackberry jam and then canned, and the rest were either baked immediately into a pie or frozen to make cobblers with later in the year when the steamy days of summer were long past.
This Lemon & Blackberry Clafoutis is a perfectly elegant dessert to honor both of the women who have had such a big impact on the woman, mother, and wife that I have become. And though the name may sound fancy, don’t let that fool you, friends. This French-inspired dessert is actually crazy simple to make. Easy to make and sure to impress? It sounds like the perfect sweet treat for Mother’s Day to me! The only part of this recipe that is a little time consuming is making the candied lemon slices to top this clafoutis with. Of course, the candied lemon slices are 100% optional, but they add an extra burst of bright lemon flavor and make such a pretty finishing touch for this dessert as well. I like to use Martha Stewart’s recipe for candied lemon slices, but feel to use your own favorite candied lemon recipe for this.
What flavors or dishes remind you of your mother or grandmother?
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- Juice & zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 oz fresh blackberries
- candied lemon slices for garnishing optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the milk, sugar, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice & zest, salt, and flour.
- Pour a ¼ inch layer of the batter in a round baking dish or deep dish pie pan coated with cooking spray. Place in the oven until the batter firms up a bit, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and place the blackberries evenly over the batter. Pour the rest of the batter evenly over top. Bake for another 20 minutes, and then top with the candied lemon slices if you are adding them.
- Bake for another 30-40 minutes. The clafoutis is done when it is puffed and golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Feel free to dust with powdered sugar or top with whipped cream. Cover tightly & refrigerate any leftovers.
If you loved this recipe, you might also like my…