Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos are so easy & always a hit! These crunchy rolled tacos are filled with a slightly spicy, creamy chicken filling!
Planning a weeknight dinner can be a pain, but not with a Crockpot! These Slow Cooker Chicken Tortillas are my go-to busy night dinner with a simple side of Mexican rice. Everyone comes running to help roll these crunchy little tacos filled with cream cheese, chicken, jalapeños, and green chile enchilada sauce.
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN TAQUITOS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
These cream cheese chicken taquitos in a slow cooker are a little spicy, a little creamy, and SO flavorful. Keep your chicken in a Crockpot super moist by using chicken thighs. They always stay super juicy and don’t get dry like white meat chicken can.
You can always make this filling on the stovetop, but I just love these chicken taquitos in the slow cooker. The multi-hour cooking time really melds all the flavors together, turning this simple main dish into a delicious dish that tastes like it simmered all day! You can’t ask for anything better.
Chicken Taquito Ingredients
CHICKEN THIGHS: I always use chicken thighs for this recipe. They’re perfect for the crock pot. They stay tender and moist, are loaded with flavor, and cost a lot less than chicken breasts, too!
FLOUR TORTILLAS: I use flour tortillas for these taquitos because they’re easier to roll. If you want a little more flavor, use corn tortillas!
CREAM CHEESE: There’s no better way to make a super creamy taquito filling! If you want to use sour cream instead, you can! I’d add it at the end of the simmering time so it doesn’t accidentally curdle.
You can serve this chicken recipe with guacamole, salsa, cheese dip, sour cream, or any dipping sauce you love! I love this simple weeknight dinner because it’s easy to have one or five so everyone’s happy.
How to Make Chicken Taquitos in a Slow Cooker
- First, put the chicken thighs in the bottom of your slow cooker. Then add the cream cheese, diced green chiles, green chile enchilada sauce, salt, and pepper over the chicken. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked and tender, shred the chicken and mix it into the delicious sauce. Let everything cool for about 10 minutes to thicken.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- To roll the taquitos, add some shredded cheese and green chile chicken mixture to the tortillas in a line. Garnish with a little cilantro (or green onion), and roll the tortillas up tightly. Put the taquitos seam side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Finally, brush a little oil on the top of the taquitos and bake until they begin to brown. If you want extra crispy chicken taquitos, turn on the broiler for a minute or two at the end. Don’t take your eyes off the oven, though!
- Serve the taquitos warm with salsa, guacamole, and/or sour cream.
Chicken taquitos in a slow cooker are just so easy. Let dinner simmer away for hours in the Crockpot. All you have to do is pour, roll, and bake!
How are Flautas and Taquitos Different?
I’ve never met a Mexican dish I didn’t love! They’re so flavorful with yummy veggies and delicious sauces and usually tortillas too.
Simply put, it’s all about the tortillas when you’re talking about flautas and taquitos. Traditionally, taquitos are made with corn tortillas, while flautas are made with flour tortillas.
I guess technically, these are slow cooker chicken flautas! The more you know, huh?
More Yummy Mexican-Inspired Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Mexican Chicken Empenadas
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quesadillas
- BBQ Ranch Chicken Tacos
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas
- More DINNER recipes…
Tools used to make Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos
Baking sheet: The Crockpot does most of the work for these slow cooker creamy chicken taquitos. You’ll need to pop the tortillas in the oven for a few minutes to make them super crispy.
Parchment Paper: Your baked goods will never stick again! I love using parchment paper for everything from cookies to pizzas!
*This post originally posted on 03/17/2015.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces diced green chiles (1 can)
- 1/4 cup green chile enchilada sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 16 soft taco flour tortillas (about 6-inches)
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend shredded
- Fresh cilantro finely chopped (see note)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salsa for serving
- Guacamole for serving
- Sour cream for serving
- To a slow cooker, add the chicken thighs and then top with the cream cheese, green chiles with juice, enchilada sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked, shred the chicken on a plate or in the slow cooker. Then stir the chicken into the sauce. The sauce will be very creamy and spicy. Let everything for about 10 minutes so the sauce can thicken.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Grab a tortilla and top it with about 2 tablespoons shredded cheese and 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture both in a line. Sprinkle on a little chopped cilantro and roll the tortilla over the filling. Place seam side down on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas and ingredients. You may need to adjust the amount of filling so you don't have any falling out the ends when you roll the tortillas.
- Brush vegetable oil on top of each taquito.
- Bake for 10 minutes until the cheese melts and tortillas start to brown. If you want crispy taquitos, turn on the broiler and cook another minute or two. Watch them closely as they will cook quickly and you don't want them to burn!
- Remove from the oven and serve warm with salsa, guacamole, and/or sour cream.