Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos are easy to make and always a big hit! I love how easy this is to make any night of the week for a delicious dinner the whole family loves!
This is really one of the best crock pot recipes! All you have to do is toss everything into the slow cooker and set it on high for 3 to 4 hours. Be sure to use chicken thighs for this recipe. Chicken thighs work great in the slow cooker. They stay tender and moist, are loaded with flavor, and cost a lot less than chicken breast too!
When you are ready to assemble the taquitos you simply put some cheese on a flour tortilla and top that with some of the chicken in cream sauce. Then you roll them up tightly…
and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. If you don’t have parchment paper, you can use foil, but be sure to spray the foil so they don’t stick. Brush the tops and sides with vegetable oil and bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes. To get them extra crispy I like to turn on the broiler for a minute at the end of the cooking time. Be sure to watch them closely so they don’t burn to a crisp!
Once the cheese is melted to ooey gooey goodness and they are nice and crispy, I like to serve them with my favorite guacamole recipe. If we are enjoying these for dinner, I’ll make up some Spanish rice on the side. They are so good! Enjoy!
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces diced green chiles (1 can)
- 1/4 cup green chile enchilada sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 16 soft taco flour tortillas (about 6-inches)
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend shredded
- Fresh cilantro finely chopped (see note)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salsa for serving
- Guacamole for serving
- Sour cream for serving
- To a slow cooker, add the chicken thighs and then top with the cream cheese, green chiles with juice, enchilada sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked, shred the chicken on a plate or in the slow cooker. Then stir the chicken into the sauce. The sauce will be very creamy and spicy. Let everything for about 10 minutes so the sauce can thicken.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Grab a tortilla and top it with about 2 tablespoons shredded cheese and 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture both in a line. Sprinkle on a little chopped cilantro and roll the tortilla over the filling. Place seam side down on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas and ingredients. You may need to adjust the amount of filling so you don't have any falling out the ends when you roll the tortillas.
- Brush vegetable oil on top of each taquito.
- Bake for 10 minutes until the cheese melts and tortillas start to brown. If you want crispy taquitos, turn on the broiler and cook another minute or two. Watch them closely as they will cook quickly and you don't want them to burn!
- Remove from the oven and serve warm with salsa, guacamole, and/or sour cream.
You might also enjoy my Slow Cooker Cheese Steaks