Ready for a new go-to chicken recipe? This sweet and tangy Grilled Honey Lime Chicken elevates plain grilled chicken to a whole new level!
I know I am not alone when I say that chicken is a go-to dinner in our house. It is inexpensive and easy to cook but let’s be honest, it can get pretty boring. Luckily, this Grilled Honey Lime Chicken recipe is the perfect way to turn plain chicken into something extraordinary. Top it with a fresh scoop of pico de gallo and you will have a new family favorite on your hands.
GRILLED HONEY LIME CHICKEN
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
I have tried a couple of honey lime chicken recipes in my time, but this one packs the perfect combination of flavors. This chicken always comes out moist on the grill and the marinade makes the most flavorful glaze that coats the surface of the chicken. Every bite of this grilled chicken is flavored to perfection.
GRILLED HONEY LIME CHICKEN VARIATION
I often alternate between chicken breasts and chicken thighs. The wonderful thing about this recipe is that you can use it on whatever cut of chicken you want – breasts, thighs, legs, or even wings! This honey lime chicken marinade will turn every piece of chicken into a masterpiece.
HOW TO COOK GRILLED HONEY LIME CHICKEN
This grilled chicken is so easy to make and comes out perfect every time!
- Start by preheating your grill to medium heat.
- Next, pat your chicken breasts dry and sprinkle them with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin. Sprinkle these dry ingredients evenly over both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Separately, in a small bowl, combine the lime zest and lime juice along with the honey and chili powder.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook it for 5 -6 minutes on each side.
- Now brush both sides of the chicken breasts with the honey mixture from the small bowl.
- Allow the chicken to continue to cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove and serve.
Tips & Tricks
- One of my favorite things about this recipe is that doesn’t use a honey lime chicken marinade, like my tequila lime marinated chicken. Instead, it’s a combination of spices and a sweet and tangy honey-lime sauce that you’ll use to baste the chicken.
- If you can’t grill outside, you can use a stovetop grill pan or cook this chicken in a skillet. Place a cast iron skillet over medium heat, add a little olive oil to prevent sticking, and brown the chicken before brushing with the sauce.
- If you’d rather back this chicken, add the seasoned chicken to a baking dish and pour the sauce over top. Then bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes spooning the sauce over top once or twice. Serve the chicken with some of the liquid in the baking dish spooned over top.
- Be sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F regardless of which cooking method you use.
WHAT GOES GOOD WITH HONEY LIME CHICKEN
Grilled Chicken Salad – The warmer the weather gets, the more I crave a refreshingly cold salad for lunch or dinner. Honey lime chicken is the perfect protein to pair with your favorite salad mix. This is a great way to make use of any leftover chicken you may have from last night’s dinner!
Tacos – Honey Lime Chicken Tacos are a simple and delicious meal that you can use this recipe for! Just chop the grilled chicken once it is done and serve it taco bar style with fresh tortillas, cheese, lettuce, and an easy blender salsa.
TRY THESE OTHER CHICKEN RECIPES
- Citrus Chicken Breast Marinade
- Creamy Garlic Butter Chicken
- Crock Pot Lemon Chicken
- Crock Pot Crack Chicken
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- More DINNER recipes…
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS HONEY LIME CHICKEN RECIPE
Marinade Brush: I don’t like to waste a drop of marinade, so this brush is perfect! I get a thick, even coat every time and my meat always comes off the grill delicious!
Tongs: Every time I grill I make sure my favorite tongs are at the ready so I always get the perfect cook on my meats and veggies.
*This post originally posted on 07/17/2014.
- Preheat the grill to a medium heat
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin. Then sprinkle evenly over both sides of the chicken breasts.
- In another small bowl, combine the lime zest, lime juice, honey, and chili powder.
- Place the seasoned chicken on the grill and cook for about 5 minutes. Then flip and cook on the other side for another 5 to 6 minutes.
- Brush both sides of the chicken with honey-lime sauce.
- Continue cooking the chicken and brushing with sauce until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Remove from the grill and serve warm.