A Mexican Sunset is a delicious tequila cocktail that makes you feel like a beach bum on vacation! It’s an eye-catching cocktail that makes my husband say, “Oh my!” So you know it’s good!
Sometimes, nothing hits the spot like a cool, summer beach cocktail. Mexican cocktails like a margarita or a tequila sunrise are great, but we like to mix it up with this Mexican Sunset. Filled with flavor with a beautiful gradient to please your guests or just yourself.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DRINK pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
The weather in Oregon can be unpredictable, with a string of cloudy, rainy days followed by a miracle of a sunny day before the rain returns. When the sun pokes out, we’re all about getting outside, relaxing and enjoying the day. We like to have a drink in the evenings while we watch birds and squirrels enjoy the last licks of sunlight. This Mexican Sunset is a perfect tequila cocktail to wind down your day.
This drink is not a Tequila Sunrise. The Mexican Sunset is like its beachy cousin who loves Peach Schnapps. It has so many great flavors and a little drizzle of grenadine in the bottom of the glass.
This drink looks amazing and it tastes even better. My Mexican Sunset is one Mexican drink that was MADE for warm evenings!
Mexican Sunset Ingredients
- Tequila, of course! Silver tequila is preferred
- Peach Schnapps
- Lime slices
- Maraschino cherries
While this is a tequila cocktail, it’s not a margarita so no salt rim needed!
How to Make a Mexican Sunset
- Start by filling a cocktail shaker with ice cubes. Then pout in the Amaretto, peach schnapps, silver tequila, and pineapple juice. Shake it up for about 30 seconds. The tin will get really cold!
- Fill a tall highball or collins glass with ice and pour the tequila mixture until the glass is almost full.
- Then, slowly pour the grenadine down the side of the glass so it falls to the bottom, creating the sunset effect.
- Now you’re ready to garnish the drink. I like to put a lime slice or wedge and some maraschino cherries on a cocktail toothpick. But you could also pop the lime on the rim of your glass and put the cherries right on top of the ice.
What are other tequila cocktail recipes?
The most well-known tequila cocktails are the margarita, both frozen or on the rocks with its many flavor variations, and the Tequila Sunrise, which is typically made from silver tequila, orange juice, and grenadine. Tequila can be added into most cocktail bases, such as this Tequila Blackberry Lemonade, or this Rosemary Peach Tequila Punch.
What do you serve with tequila cocktails?
Tequila goes well with tacos, grilled seafood, steak and a host of vegetables. When I think about a menu to plan for a tequila cocktail night, my brain always goes to Mexican food. Whether it’s a drink-and-graze night with a 7-Layer-Dip or fresh bowl of Pineapple Guacamole and tortilla chips. Or a full dinner party affair with Salsa Verde Shrimp Tacos or Carne Asada Tacos, this Mexican Sunset cocktail brightens any place setting.
Try some of my other favorite summer cocktails
- Frozen margarita
- White Peach Sangria
- Pomegranate Champagne Cocktail
- Pineapple Rum Punch
- Tropical Moscato Sangria
- More drink recipes…
Tools used to make this Mexican Sunset recipe
Cocktail Shaker: A solid shaker with a study top is a must for mixing alcoholic drinks at home. This one comes with a jigger and bar spoon so you have everything you need to make any drink.
Highball Glasses: These beautiful glasses help highlight the layers in this stunning tequila cocktail.
*This post originally published on 05/01/2015.
- 1 ounce Amaretto
- 1 ounce Peach Schnapps
- 3 ounces Silver Tequila
- 6 ounces Pineapple Juice
- 1/2 ounce Grenadine
- 1 lime slice
- 3 maraschino cherries
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the Amaretto, Peach Schnapps, silver tequila, and pineapple juice.
- Cover with the lid and shake vigorously for 30 seconds until the shaker is nice and cold.
- Fill a tall glass with ice and pour the tequila cocktail mixture in to almost fill the glass.
- Slowly pour the grenadine down the side of the glass so that it falls to the bottom.
- Garnish with a slice of lime and cherries on a cocktail toothpick. Serve immediately.