Impress your family and friends with these perfectly crunchy, but secretly still good for you, Air Fryer Asparagus Fries!
We all know that the all-mighty air fryer makes quick work of getting good food on the table but this easy Air Fryer Asparagus Fries tastes like serious time and effort! In less than 30 minutes you’ll have a “wow” side dish, using only asparagus, an egg, breadcrumbs, parmesan, and simple seasonings.
Cooking Fun for the Whole Family
It’s so fun to find new foods to fry in the air fryer, isn’t it? I love my air fryer so much I think I should just keep it hot all day to cook everything in the house so I can graze on good food constantly. Or not. I have baked asparagus many times but I was excited to try frying it and I was so glad I did! The asparagus comes out perfectly crunchy outside, with a tender inside that is so satisfying. The fun part was having the kids help with dipping the spears into the egg and then it coating them with breadcrumbs! It was the perfect amount of messy fun without feeling like the kitchen just experienced a food fight.
Other Recipes to Serve With Air Fryer Asparagus Fries
- Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken Thighs is quick, light protein that is the perfect partner for asparagus.
- Cauliflower Rice is a great way to include more veggies or if you’re looking to cut some carbs.
Veggies: You’ll need one pound of fresh asparagus spears.
Wet Ingredients: For the egg mixture you will need one egg as well as salt and pepper.
Dry Ingredients: For the dry mix, use your choice of breadcrumbs and grated parmesan cheese.
How to Make Air Fryer Asparagus Fries
STEP ONE: Snap or cut off the tough ends of the asparagus spears and then wash and dry them. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the egg, salt, and pepper until well mixed. In a second shallow bowl, lightly mix the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Dip the asparagus in the egg mixture first and once well coated, move it to the breadcrumb mix, evenly coating each spear.
STEP TWO: Once coated, place the asparagus in the air fryer basket, leaving space between each one. Spray with olive oil spray.
STEP THREE: Cook the asparagus at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes carefully flip the asparagus and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the spears are golden brown.
Tips for Success
- Add a couple of spears to the egg mixture at a time to speed the process up. You can use a brush to coat each spear with the mix to ensure each asparagus is completely coated.
- Using tongs to move the spears from the egg mix to the breadcrumbs can help your hands, and your kitchen, stay a little less messy.
- Gently pick up the spears by both ends to place into the fryer basket to keep the breadcrumb coating from falling off.
Can I use an oven instead of an air fryer?
You can follow all of the steps in the recipe and then bake the asparagus in your oven on a greased baking sheet for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F until they are golden brown. Flip the asparagus halfway through to ensure maximum crispiness.
Do I need to preheat my air fryer?
For this recipe you don’t need to preheat your air fryer, it will heat up quick enough but it’s always a good idea to follow the instructions on your particular model as each one is a little different.
More Amazing Air Fryer Ideas
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Air Fryer Green Bean Fries
- Air Fryer Pork Loin
- Air Fryer Donuts
- Air Fryer Parmesan Zucchini
- Remove the hard ends of the asparagus by cutting or snapping them off approximately 1 inch up the stem. Then wash and pat dry.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the egg, salt, and pepper until thoroughly combined. Then mix breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a separate shallow bowl.
- Dip the asparagus spears into the egg mixture until coated. Then toss in the breadcrumbs until evenly coated.
- Place breaded spears in one layer into the basket of your air fryer so they don´t touch. (You may need to work in batches.) Spray the asparagus with a light coating of olive oil spray.
- Cook at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, carefully flip the fries over and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Remove from the air fryer and serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.