Simple and delicious Cheesy Salsa Chicken is packed with flavor and ready in just 30 minutes. It is the perfect weeknight dinner recipe!
I don’t think there is a week that goes by where I don’t serve chicken for dinner. For starters, I always have chicken in the freezer and it is one of the few things everyone in my family can agree on.
I also love the versatility of chicken. I can serve a delicious low-carb chicken enchilada recipe one night and this amazing Cheesy Salsa Chicken recipe the next. If you love chicken and salsa, you are going to love this recipe too!
CHEESY SALSA CHICKEN
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
There was a time in my life where I did not know what an amazing team chicken and salsa made! The salsa in this dish paired with the onions infuses the best flavor and leaves behind the moistest chicken breasts. It is so easy to pair with any of your favorite side dishes. You might even consider serving this chicken in tacos or as a fajita wrap!
CHEESY SALSA CHICKEN INGREDIENTS
Salsa- I love this recipe because there are so many delicious versions of it just based on the type of salsa you use! I like to use thick and chunky pico de gallo salsa, but any store-bought salsa works. If you do not want to use chunky salsa, an easy blender salsa will give you a great result too!
Cheese- This baked salsa chicken recipe calls for Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese, but you can also use a Mexican cheese blend if you prefer. Just make sure to match the recipe measurements if you are using pre-mixed cheese.
Sour Cream- I always use regular sour cream, as opposed to any reduced-fat options.
Garnishes- A great way to add an extra layer of flavor to this recipe is to garnish it with jalapenos, green chiles, or olives prior to baking it. The good news is that if you have any picky eaters, you can easily leave some of the chicken ungarnished.
If you want to boost the flavor of your chicken, you can with homemade taco seasoning to season on both sides before searing them in the skillet.
HOW TO MAKE SALSA CHICKEN
This moist and flavorful chicken can be on the dinner table in less than an hour!
- First, start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
- Next, season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and lightly brown them in oil then set them aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the thinly sliced onions until they are just soft.
- Now mix the sour cream, cheese, and salsa together.
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish by spraying it with cooking spray and place the browned chicken breasts in it. Top the chicken breasts with the grilled onions.
- Next, pour the sour cream, cheese, and salsa mixture over the top of the chicken breasts, distributing it evenly.
- Top the dish with additional cheese and any optional garnishes you wish. If you’re topping the chicken bake with cilantro, parsley, or green onion, save that for after it’s out of the oven.
- Finally, bake the chicken uncovered for 30 minutes.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SALSA CHICKEN
One of the great things about Cheesy Salsa Chicken is that it will go great alongside a number of side dishes. I often serve this baked salsa chicken recipe with sides of Mexican rice, black beans, or Mexican street corn. If you are looking for something a little on the lighter side, try this taco salad recipe!
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH SALSA?
When it comes to using salsa, the possibilities are endless! You can use your favorite salsa to spice up your breakfast with this amazing Huevos Rancheros recipe! You can even turn a simple salsa into a crowd-pleasing appetizer for the masses by whipping up the best Mexican 7 Layer Dip that your guests are sure to go crazy over!
If you are in the market for salsa-inspired dinner recipes, look no further! Mexican Chicken Casserole is another easy, family-friendly dinner recipe that combines chicken and salsa. With these flavorful aces up your sleeve, you can easily plan meals for weeks in advance!
TRY THESE OTHER YUMMY CHICKEN RECIPES
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Creamy Garlic Butter Chicken
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- More DINNER recipes…
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS BAKED SALSA CHICKEN RECIPE
Baking Dish: I honestly own a couple of these dishes because I use them so often! If one is in the fridge or sink, I like to have a backup clean and ready just in case!
Mixing Bowls: If you haven’t invested in the perfect set of mixing bowls yet, now is as good a time as ever!
*This post originally posted on 08/07/2013.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 large yellow onions halved, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chunky salsa divided
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded, divided
- 1 jalapeno pepper sliced
- Black olives sliced
- Green chiles diced
- Fresh cilantro chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread some salsa in the bottom of a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon each olive oil and butter to the pan. Once the butter is melted, sear the chicken on each side for about 3-4 minutes. The chicken should be browned, but not cooked through. (It'll finish in the oven.)
- Transfer the seared chicken to your prepared baking dish.
- To the same skillet you cooked the chicken in, add 1 tablespoon each olive oil and butter. Once the butter is melted, add the sliced onions. Cook until the onions are softened and just starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Spread cooked onions over the chicken breasts.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the sour cream, 1/2 cup salsa, 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, and 3/4 cup jack cheese. Spread the sour cream mixture over the onions on the chicken.
- Top each chicken breast with 2 tablespoons of salsa and spread to cover. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar and jack cheese. Top with any additional toppings - like jalapenos, olives, or green chiles.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Once the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling, remove the chicken from the oven. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve warm.