If you follow me on Instagram you know my parents were recently out here. They watched the boys while Casey and I drove up to Oregon and found a house. Then my mom drove them out here from California and my dad met her out here. They spent the weekend with here in Arizona with us and helped pack. Now that would make them the best parents ever but then went even further and made me a mimosa every morning they were here AND cooked some pretty spectacular steaks!!!!! It’s pretty rare that we have left over steak in my house. We are pretty big carnivores, especially my oldest son. I usually joke that my son could take down an entire cow!
Anyway……. when my parents left we had a lot of steak leftover and so I decided to make a panini. Have you tried the horseradish cheddar cheese from the deli yet? it’s so great! It’s the perfect cheese for this sandwich and when you add the sauteed onions from steak night you will have the best lunch you’ve ever had. OK…. that’s a pretty big claim but it will be up there in your top lunches of all time. It has great flavor and it’s so fast to make. If you don’t have left over steak you could use pot roast or roast beef.
- 8 slices of Italian bread
- 1 lb of sliced cooked steak or roast beef
- 1/2 lb of sliced horseradish cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c sauteed onions
- 2 T olive oil
- brush the bottom of one slice of Italian bread and place on panini maker or pan over med heat
- lay a slice of cheese, then a layer of steak or roast beef
- lay another slice of cheese and then spread layer of onions, then top with cheese
- place top slice of bread on and brush the top with olive oil
- close lid to panini maker or press down with another heavy pan on top
- if using a pan flip sandwich after bottom is golden brown
- be sure to press as it cooks, you want a flat sandwich
- remove when bread is toasted and cheese is melted
- repeat above steps for remaining sandwiches