Looking for a delicious dinner under a time crunch? This 30-Minute Caprese Chicken Bake tastes like you spent all day in the kitchen!
I love Italian food! The fresh ingredients, the bold flavors. One of my favorite appetizers to order at an Italian restaurant is a fresh, delicious caprese salad.
This Baked Chicken Caprese recipe is a dinner game-changer! When it comes to easy dinner ideas, nothing beats this chicken. Not only is this dish ready in just 30 minutes, it seriously takes your tastebuds on a mini Italian vacation!
30 MINUTE CAPRESE CHICKEN BAKE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Traditionally a caprese salad is a simple appetizer consisting of fresh, sliced mozzarella, green basil, and fresh tomatoes. This easy baked caprese chicken is equally simple and delicious. Your family will love this fresh and flavorful dinner, and you will love how quickly it comes together!
OVEN BAKED CAPRESE CHICKEN INGREDIENTS
Pesto – You can buy a pre-made pesto sauce or whip up this delicious homemade pesto sauce! The flavor difference between fresh and pre-made is worth the extra 5 minutes in my book.
Tomato – I use hot house tomatoes for this recipe since I can cut them into nice 1/4-thick slices easily. Cut if cherry tomatoes or aroma tomatoes are one sale, grab those. Just be sure to get enough tomato onto the chicken so you get some in each bite.
Mozzarella – This recipe calls for shredded mozzarella, but you could easily substitute freshly sliced mozzarella if you prefer.
HOW TO MAKE BAKED CAPRESE CHICKEN
Just 4 ingredients and 30 minutes of cooking time are all it takes to serve up this amazing dinner!
- First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- After that, grab the chicken breasts and season both sides liberally with salt and pepper. (You could even use some Italian seasoning too if you like.)
- Next, lay the seasoned chicken in a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish, bottom side up. Evenly spread a tablespoon of pesto sauce on each breast. Then, flip the breasts and spread the remaining pesto evenly over the chicken.
- Now you’re ready to place the chicken into the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Carefully grab the dish and remove from the oven. Top each chicken breast with 2 tomato slices and then 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Return the baking dish to the oven and cook the chicken for 5 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the baked caprese chicken from the oven and top with some chiffonade basil. We like to drizzle some balsamic reduction or balsamic glaze over the chicken too once it’s been plated.
WHAT DOES CAPRESE MEAN?
Traditionally you will see the word “caprese” in reference to the classic Italian appetizer. Insalata Caprese, or Caprese Salad, comes from the Italian island of Capri. Some even say this delicious appetizer was created to represent the colors of the Italian flag. With its vibrant red tomatoes, white mozzarella, and green basil I’d buy it.
WHAT GOES WITH CAPRESE CHICKEN?
Easy baked caprese chicken is super versatile and pairs well with most sides. Personally, when I’m in the mood for Italian food, I cannot satisfy that craving unless I have pasta! You can serve this chicken with a One Pot Alfredo Pasta and have a complete Italian meal.
TRY THESE OTHER CHICKEN DINNER RECIPES
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Legs
- Crock Pot Crack Chicken
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- Chicken Marengo
- Orange Chicken
- More CHICKEN recipes…
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS CAPRESE BAKED CHICKEN
Baking Dish: A standard 13 x 9 baking dish is a kitchen essential so make sure you invest in a great one that lasts forever and is easy to clean!
Kitchen Knives: A sharp set of knives is a must when you’re slicing tomatoes and fresh cheese!
*This post originally posted on 08/19/2013.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup pesto sauce
- 2 tomatoes cut into 8 slices total
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Fresh basil chiffoande
- Balsamic glaze for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Season chicken breasts liberally with salt and pepper on both sides. Lay the chicken in a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish bottom side up.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of pesto sauce on each breast and spread it all over the chicken. Flip the chicken over and spread the remaining pesto evenly over each breast.
- Bake for 25 min until the chicken is cooked through.
- Carefully remove the baking dish from the oven. Lay two slices of tomato on each chicken breast. Top chicken breast with 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Return the baking dish to the oven and bake for 5 more minutes or until cheese is melty and gooey.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle on fresh basil. Serve with pasta or a green salad. We like to drizzle some balsamic glaze over our chicken before eating.