Chicken Marengo slowly simmers in the oven with tomatoes, mushrooms, and garlic to create the most tender and flavorful chicken dish ever!
When it comes to chicken recipes this easy Chicken Marengo is one of the most flavorful recipes around! This simple yet delicious sauce is packed with wonderfully robust flavor and the chicken comes out so tender! Serve this chicken over a bed of rice or pasta and you have a meal the whole family will be thanking you for!
Not your average chicken dinner recipe
The sauce is what makes this chicken recipe truly phenomenal! The incorporation of flavors in this dish is so good you’re going to want to share it with everyone you know!
More Tasty Chicken Casseroles
- Cheddar Bay Chicken Bake – This recipe is SO simple! Chicken breasts get covered with marinara and topped with cheddar bay biscuit dough for a crazy good meal the whole family runs to the table for.
- Monte Cristo Chicken Bake – An all-in-one meal that’ll have everyone asking for seconds. Rice, chicken, and Canadian bacon get topped with a yummy dijon cream sauce and Swiss cheese, then baked to perfection!
Chicken – You will need 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. You can also substitute chicken breasts if you prefer. I would recommend 4-6 depending on the size of the chicken breasts.
Veggies – You will need white mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, and garlic to complete this dish. The white mushrooms are mild and soft in contrast to the bright tomatoes.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHICKEN MARENGO
STEP ONE: Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper on both sides. Then heat the oil in a large skillet and brown the chicken in batches. Remove the cooked chicken onto a paper towel to drain. Then transfer all the chicken thighs to a large casserole dish.
STEP TWO: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, chicken broth, and white wine. Set this bowl aside for later.
STEP THREE: In the same skillet that you browned the chicken, add the sliced mushrooms, chopped onion, and minced garlic. Season the veggies with salt and pepper and cook them until the mushrooms have released their moisture and evaporated and the onions are soft.
STEP FOUR: Add the tomato paste to the center of the skillet and cook and stir for 1 minute. Pour the flour mixture into the skillet. Stir to combine and bring to a boil while whisking until slightly thickened. Add the diced tomatoes to the skillet and adjust seasoning to taste if needed. Pour the sauce over the chicken in the casserole dish.
STEP FIVE: Bake for 1 hour uncovered. Sprinkle parsley over to the top to garnish and serve!
WHAT IS CHICKEN MARENGO?
This French chicken dish has some history to it! It is tied to Napoleon, as historians believe it was served after he defeated the Austrian army in the Battle of Marengo. This dish has been transformed over the years. Often it was traditionally served with an egg and crayfish on top, though today those ingredients are usually left out.
This easy Chicken Marengo recipe is a wonderfully balanced combination of tomatoes and chicken along with onion, garlic, and mushrooms. These flavors work perfectly together. I guarantee you will savor every bite!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN MARENGO?
Typically, this chicken dish is served over white rice or pasta. I have served it alongside, and on top of, mashed potatoes as well. Every combination is amazing! If you want something a little more balanced, you can serve it with green beans or broccoli too!
TRY THESE OTHER FLAVORFUL CHICKEN RECIPES
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Bake
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken
*This post originally posted on 10/27/2015.
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 18 ounces white mushrooms sliced
- 2 yellow onions peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine (or more chicken broth)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 12 ounces canned crushed tomatoes (plain or with Italian seasoning)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper chicken on both sides. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown chicken on each side. (You'll need to work in batches.) Transfer the browned chicken to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Once all the chicken is cooked, transfer it to a large casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, chicken broth, and wine until smooth. Set aside.
- To the same skillet, add mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are tender and the onions are soft.
- Add the tomato paste to the skillet and stir to combine. Pour in the flour mixture, stir into the veggies, and bring to a boil. Continue cooking until thickened slightly. Add the tomatoes and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken. Bake for 1 hour uncovered. Sprinkle parsley over top and serve warm.