This Cheddar Bay Chicken Bake is an amazingly simple one-dish recipe that turns fan favorite Cheddar Bay Biscuits into the star of the meal!
When it comes to delectable dinners, this Cheddar Bay Chicken Bake is a big win. Then combination of chicken breasts, marinara sauce, and flakey, buttery Cheddar Bay Biscuits is ah-mazing. This one-dish chicken entree is ready to serve in less than an hour and can be paired with your favorite veggie sides for a complete dinner!
SAVE THE TRIP TO RED LOBSTER
I’ll be the first to admit anytime my family has dined at Red Lobster. It’s entirely because one of us has been craving their fantastic Cheddar Bay Biscuits! The good news for my wallet, and yours, is that they sell their biscuit mix in a box so you can enjoy them from home. This recipe helps turn everyone’s favorite side into the star of the meal!
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH A CHEDDAR BAY CHICKEN BAKE
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts – These tasty Brussels are easy to prepare in the air fryer for a fuss-free veggie side.
- Lemon Butter Broccolini – Crunchy, tangy, and light, this broccolini is a perfect side for this buttery biscuit chicken bake.
- Broccoli Salad – If you’re looking for a crunchy, cold side, this broccoli salad is a favorite of mine!
Chicken: You will need 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You could also easily use chicken thighs if you prefer.
Biscuit Mix: This delicious biscuit topping combines a box of Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit mix with water, shredded cheddar, and green onion. For the cheesiest results, grate the cheddar off of a block.
Marinara: You can use your favorite marinara sauce for this recipe. Chunky, cheesy, garlic, traditional- they all work just fine!
Seasoning: The final touch of this recipe is the mix of melted butter and the famous Cheddar Bay Biscuit seasoning packet.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHEDDAR BAY CHICKEN BAKE
STEP ONE: Start by sautéing 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts for about 8 minutes, or until the center is no longer pink.
STEP TWO: While the chicken breasts are cooking, combine a box of Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit mix with 3/4 cup of water, 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar, and 1/2 cup of chopped green onion.
STEP THREE: Next, spray a 9×13 inch pan or baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and pour a layer of your favorite marinara sauce on the bottom. Once cooked, layer the chicken breasts over the marinara sauce and spoon the prepared biscuit mix over the chicken. Make sure to cover the chicken breasts completely in biscuit batter and bake it at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes.
STEP FOUR: Lastly, combine 1/2 cup of melted butter and the Cheddar Bay Biscuit seasoning packet. Brush the butter seasoning over the top of the baked casserole. Allow the dish to cool for 5-10 minutes prior to serving and enjoy!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- The best way to gauge whether your chicken is cooked all the way is to use a meat thermometer. Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- The biscuit topping will be perfectly golden on top when it’s finished baking. Don’t overcook it, or it won’t absorb the butter seasoning mix as easily.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHEDDAR BAY CHICKEN BAKE
This simple chicken and biscuit meal is good enough to eat on its own, but I usually like to serve it with a side or two. When it comes to cold sides, you can’t go wrong with your favorite salad! I usually make a simple Italian Chop Salad to serve up with this hearty chicken bake. Any veggie side pairs well with this dish. Try serving up your favorite greens, or even try tricking your kids into eating more veggies by pairing their meal with some Zoodles! You can also keep it super simple and add your favorite veggies directly to the pan to cook in the sauce.
HOW TO STORE CHEDDAR BAY CHICKEN BAKE
If you have leftovers, tightly cover the pan with plastic wrap and transfer them to an airtight container. Store any leftover chicken bake in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat it, take the dish out of the fridge and let it sit for 15-20 minutes to come up to room temperature. Loosely place foil over the pan, then place the in the oven at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until the chicken is completely warmed through.
OTHER FAN FAVORITE RECIPES
- Fish Fillet Sandwich with Homemade Tartar Sauce
- Creamy Broccoli and Mushroom Chicken
- Air Fryer Chick-Fil-A Chicken Nuggets
- Slow Cooker Copycat Wendy’s Chili
- Copycat Carrabba’s Chicken Bryan
- Crispy Air Fryer Bloomin’ Onion
*This post was originally posted on 07/27/2015.
- Place a skillet over medium heat and pour in the olive oil. Once hot, saute the chicken breasts for 8 minutes, flipping once, until no longer pink inside.
- Meanwhile, stir together the biscuit mix with water, cheddar cheese, and green onion in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Spray the inside of a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spread the marinara sauce in the bottom of the dish, lay the chicken over the sauce, and then spoon the prepared biscuit mix over the chicken breasts. Use the back of a spoon to spread the biscuits to cover the chicken completely.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes, until the top of the biscuit layer is golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Combine the melted butter and seasoning packet from the biscuit mix box in a small bowl. Then brush the butter over the top of the casserole. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving warm.