Believe it or not, everyone loves this crispy, cool Broccoli Salad. This easy-to-make side dish pairs well with any meal all year long!
Creamy, crunchy, and slightly famous, this super popular Broccoli Salad has been popping up in restaurants and grocery stores for years now. Now you can make your own version, tossed in a sweet and tangy dressing and mixed with sweet onions, raisins, sunflower seeds, and almonds.
A SALAD WITH A REPUTATION
You may have tried a broccoli salad recipe before if you ever ate at Souplantation or Sweet Tomatoes or even if you shop at Costco. This salad is so well known because it is seriously that delicious!
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH BROCCOLI SALAD
- Stuffed Pepper Soup – Because I used to get broccoli salad at Sweet Tomatoes, I always crave it with a hot bowl of soup!
- Bacon Ranch Chicken – This is the best salad recipe to pair with heavy entrees like Bacon Ranch Chicken because it is so cool and refreshing!
- Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole – Sometimes I feel like I need a pop of color on the plate when I’m serving a casserole and an easy broccoli salad is the perfect fix.
Broccoli: You will need 8 cups of washed broccoli florets cut into bite-sized, salad-friendly pieces. You can buy 2 heads of broccoli or get bags or pre-cut florets.
Dressing: For the dressing, you will need regular mayonnaise, nonfat plain Greek yogurt, rice vinegar, honey, and salt. Any substitutions you make, such as low-fat mayonnaise or a different type of vinegar, may change the consistency and flavor of the salad.
Mix-ins: I mix in finely diced sweet onion, raisins, sunflower seeds, and toasted almond slivers to my broccoli salad. You can definitely experiment with other mix-ins, like dried cranberries or crunchy wonton sticks, or omit anything you may not love.
HOW TO MAKE BROCCOLI SALAD
STEP ONE: In a large bowl, combine the bite-sized broccoli florets, diced onion, raisins, shelled sunflower seeds, and toasted almond slivers. Make sure there is enough room in the bowl left to toss the dressing in the next step.
STEP TWO: In a small bowl, make the broccoli salad dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, greek yogurt, rice vinegar, honey, and salt.
STEP THREE: Pour the mixed dressing into the large bowl of salad and toss to coat. Serve and enjoy!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Make sure the broccoli florets are bite-sized so each bite leaves room for the yummy mix-ins too.
- You can serve this salad immediately or keep it covered in the fridge until you are ready. Broccoli salad is best when enjoyed chilled.
- This is the perfect side to make ahead of time and fits in beautifully with holiday dinners as well!
- Some great variations to play around with include turning this recipe into a broccoli bacon salad or even a broccoli cauliflower salad!
WHAT MAIN DISH GOES WITH BROCCOLI SALAD
It is my opinion this side goes well with just about any entree or protein. It’s a summer-friendly side for Grilled BBQ Chicken Legs or Grilled Ribs. It also pairs well with pasta dishes, like Chicken Parmesan Casserole, because it provides that missing crunch factor!
HOW LONG DOES BROCCOLI SALAD LAST IN THE FRIDGE?
If kept in an airtight container, it will last up to 3 days in the fridge. This salad is a perfect make-ahead side dish and I love eating the leftovers from dinner for lunch the next day!
OTHER AMAZING SIDE DISHES
- Broccoli Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
- Citrus Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Grandma’s Potato Salad
- Parmesan Cilantro Corn
- Baked Brown Rice
- 8 cups broccoli florets cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds shelled
- 1/2 cup almond slivers toasted
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine the broccoli, onion, raisins, sunflower seeds, and almonds in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the mayo, Greek yogurt, rice vinegar, honey, and salt until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli salad and toss to coat.
- Chill until ready to serve.