This fresh and easy Fish Fillet Sandwich with Homemade Tartar Sauce is the perfect dinner for fish Fridays and any other day of the week!
My homemade Fish Fillet Sandwich with tartar sauce is a crispy, delicious and healthy alternative to your run-of-the-mill burger. This oven-baked tilapia dressed in a tangy homemade tartar sauce with lettuce and cheese sandwiched between a fresh bun will win over the entire family!
THE ONLY WAY TO DO FISH FILLET FRIDAY
Have you ever had a Filet-O-Fish from McDonald’s and wondered why the single piece of cheese on it is always completely off-center and the dab of tartar sauce is somehow all over the box but barely on the sandwich itself? Maybe it’s just me, but either way, I’d take this Fish Fillet sandwich over the drive-through version any day of the week.
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH HOMEMADE FISH FILLET SANDWICHES
- Crispy Homemade Onion Rings – These onion rings are any hot sandwiches best friend!
- Air Fryer French Fries – Craving that fast food combo without a side of guilt? These fries are perfect.
- Carrot and Apple Slaw – This sweet and tangy slaw will go perfect on the side of your fish sandwich.
Fish: Two tilapia fillets, halved will make 4 fish fillet sandwiches. You’ll bread the fillets by dipping them in beaten egg and coating them in a mixture of flour, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Sandwich Fixings: These simple sandwiches are prepared on your favorite hamburger buns with a slice of your favorite cheese and some shredded lettuce.
Sauce: This show-stopping sauce consists of mayo, Greek yogurt, white vinegar, sweet relish, and a bit of that relish liquid and salt and pepper to taste.
HOW TO MAKE FISH FILLET SANDWICHES
STEP ONE: Start by lining a baking sheet with foil and placing it in the oven at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Mix the ingredients for the tartar sauce in a small bowl. Chill in the fridge until you’re ready to make the sandwiches.
STEP TWO: Mix the flour, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a shallow dish. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Dip each piece of tilapia in the egg and allow excess to drip off prior to coating it in the flour mixture. Place the coated pieces of fish on a plate.
STEP THREE: Spray the tops of the coated fish fillets with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil spray and carefully place them greased side down on the hot baking sheet. Finish by spraying the other side of each piece with cooking spray before placing them into the oven. Bake for 15 minutes before flipping the fillets. Continue baking them for an additional 15 minutes on the other side until they are golden brown.
STEP FOUR: Toast the hamburger buns and place a slice of cheese on the bottom bun, topping it with the fresh, hot tilapia fillet. Spoon the tartar sauce over the fish fillet and top with shredded lettuce before placing the top bun.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Allowing the baking sheet to heat in the oven prior to baking the fish fillets is important. The hot sheet ensures that the fish will come out perfectly crispy.
- If you wanna get real crazy you can even steam your buns in the microwave like they do at McDonalds.
WHAT OTHER KIND OF FISH CAN I USE IN A FISH SANDWICH?
Looking for that very specific fast food fish sandwich flavor? Then you might consider replacing the tilapia in this Fish Fillet Sandwich recipe with a piece of Alaskan Pollock. Almost every fast food place use Pollock in their sandwiches. The good news though is that really any kind of fish works just as well. From cod to salmon and even tuna fillets, the only thing that may hold you back could be your wallet.
CAN YOU STORE LEFTOVER FISH?
End up with an extra baked fillet or two? Not a problem! You can store extra pieces of this breaded, baked fish in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. When you’re ready to reheat it for another sandwich simply place it back in the oven and heat it all the way through. This will help to crisp the fillet back up again and helps to avoid breaking the most important rule in any house — never microwave fish!
OTHER COPYCAT RECIPES
- Slow Cooker Copycat Wendy’s Chili
- Carrabba’s Chicken Bryan
- Trader Joe’s Cowboy Bark
- Starbucks Pink Drink
- Shamrock Shake
- Blooming Onion
*This post was originally posted on 03/28/2014.
Fish Fillet Sandwich
Homemade Tartar Sauce
- Mix all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside in the fridge to chill.
Fish Fillet Sandwich
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place it in the oven. Preheat to 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Set up a dredge station using 2 shallow bowls or pie plates. Mix the flour, bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in the first bowl. In the second bowl, beat the eggs.
- Dip the tilapia in the egg and allow the excess to drip off. Then place the fish into the flour mixture and coat both sides completely. Shake off any extra breading.
- Coat the tops of the fish with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil spray. Then carefully place the fish, oil side down, on the hot baking sheet. Coat the top of each fillet with more spray.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Then flip and cook another 15 minuntes or until fish is cooked through and the crust is golden brown.
- Separate the buns and place them cut sides up on another baking sheet. Add 1 slice of cheese onto the bottom half of each bun. Place in the oven until the cheese is melted and the buns are toasted.
- To assemble: Place a tilapia filet on each bottom bun. Top with some tartar sauce and some shredded lettuce before adding the top bun. Serve immediately.