Filled with tender veggies and bursting with flavor, Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili is so delicious you won’t even notice it doesn’t have meat!
Instant Pot chili is a busy mom’s dream come true. It’s got tons of vegetables, takes only 30 minutes to make (including prep!!!), and it’s packed with protein to keep your family full and happy. My boys love this chili so much that they don’t even complain that it’s lacking their favorite food group – meat! They also love this Three Bean Turkey Chili, it’s another great lean option for a chilly fall day!
INSTANT POT VEGETARIAN CHILI
Like this recipe? Pin it to your MAIN DISH board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Is it just me, or does the smell of chili make you think of fall weather and watching football? It can’t be just me.
Chili is just one of those amazing all-in-one meals that will make any chilly day a chili day. (hehehe) It’s also one of those dishes that is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
Every year our neighborhood has a big chili cook-off party. I’m talking BIG. People research, experiment, and taste test their recipes all. year. long. It’s no joke.
Everyone brings a batch of their favorite chili recipe and we do blind taste tests. The winner gets the coveted bragging rights for the entire next year (and believe me, those bragging rights get used frequently throughout the neighborhood).
This year, we’re skipping the big party to keep everyone safe (thanks 2020, am I right??). But, that isn’t stopping me from prepping to dominate next year’s big competition.
I’m going to go a little bit of a different route this time and go with vegetarian chili. I’m breaking out my favorite kitchen appliance – the Instant Pot – and mixing up this delicious vegetarian chili instant pot recipe!
I love that it’s packed with delicious vegetables and it doesn’t need to simmer on the stove (or in the crock pot) for hours and hours. If I get a craving for some instant pot chili, I can have it prepped, cooked, and in my bowl ready to go in about 30 minutes. Talk about instant gratification! Watch out 2021 Chili Competition, Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili is coming your way!
Instant Pot Chili Ingredients
- Orange or red bell pepper
- Red onion
- Baby carrots
- Celery stalks
- Fire-roasted diced tomatoes – regular diced work fine too, but fire-roasted gives an extra special flavor
- Black beans
- Kidney beans
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Cayenne pepper
- Lime (optional)
This instant pot chili recipe is amazing all on its own, but it also goes great with toppings! You can personalize it however you please. Try it with some grated cheddar cheese on top. Plop a spoonful of sour cream in to give it a creamier texture. Scoop it out with some tortilla chips (or even corn chips if you’re feeling fancy). There’s no wrong way to enjoy vegetarian chili!
How to Make Chili in an Instant Pot
The thing I love most about using my Instant Pot is how simple it makes recipes. Dump everything you want into the pot, seal it, and you’re good to go!
- Start by adding all of your ingredients into the Instant Pot and stir them together.
- Next, place the Instant Pot lid on and lock it in place.
- Now, press the manual (pressure cook) button on high pressure and cook for 12 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 10 minutes (it will say LO10). If you’re in more of a rush (or you’re getting hangry and just can’t wait another minute for your vegetarian chili), you can quick release the pressure gauge as well. *VERY IMPORTANT!!!* Please be careful that you stay clear of the steam or use a towel to cover the release valve – that steam is SUPER hot, and nobody should be nursing burns instead of enjoying their instant pot chili.
- Last, spoon your chili into bowls and squeeze lime juice over the top (that part is totally optional, but I love the brightness that the lime juice brings to the dish). Serve warm.
How Long to Cook Chili in the Instant Pot
The one downfall to using an Instant Pot is that you can’t really peek in to see if your dish is done. BUT, don’t worry, I’ve tested out this recipe enough times to tell you that for instant pot vegetarian chili, that sweet spot is 12 minutes of pressure cooking time.
Cooking for 12 minutes gives the vegetables enough time to soften up without becoming total mush and it gives the flavors time to meld together to taste as if they’ve been simmering all day. It also gives you plenty of time to clean off your cutting board and knives so when your timer goes off, you’re ready to eat, no kitchen mess to clean up! It’s a win-win situation.
Want some more family favorite meal ideas?
- Tex-Mex Instant Pot Sloppy Joes
- Crock Pot Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Taco Chili
- Instant Pot Pork Chops
- more DINNER recipes…
Tools used to make this Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili recipe
Instant Pot: I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again – this thing is my FAVORITE kitchen appliance!
Kitchen Knives: I’ve had this knife block for years and I recommend it to everyone I know!
- 1 orange bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion diced
- 12 baby carrots sliced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 28 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 ounces canned black beans (not drained)
- 15 ounces canned red kidney beans (not drained)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Add all of the ingredients into the Instant Pot and stir to mix together.
- Place the Instant Pot lid on, lock into place, and turn vent to sealing.
- Press the manual button (high pressure) and set to cook for 12 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 10 minutes. If you are in a rush you can quick release the pressure gauge as well. (Please be careful that you stay clear of the steam or use a towel to cover the release valve or you may get burned.)
- Spoon chili into bowls and squeeze some fresh lime juice over the top of each bowl. Totally optional, but delicious! Serve warm.
Leave a Reply