Monte Cristo Chicken Bake is a creamy, hearty chicken bake that is a complete meal in one dish. This chicken bake is flavorful, delicious, and easy to make!
I love a good chicken recipe, and an easy chicken recipe that also tastes good is just another huge plus. That is probably why I love this Italian Chicken meal so much. It only requires mixing a few things up and then baking. The same holds true for this tasty Monte Cristo Chicken Bake. It has layers of Canadian bacon, chicken breasts, cheese, cooked with rice, and a creamy delicious sauce I can’t get enough of.
MONTE CRISTO CHICKEN BAKE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
One of the things I love about this chicken is that it stays nice and moist inside. The Canadian Bacon adds a nice saltiness, and the creamy sauce is just oh so good. That Dijon mustard adds just the right touch of tanginess and flavor to the chicken.
One suggestion I have is to top this dish with some delicious fresh chives to add some green and some light freshness to the dish.
Another name for this chicken is Monte Carlo Chicken, but Monte Cristo Chicken is more common. It can be made several ways, sometimes it is fried in a skillet and served in a sandwich. I personally like this chicken bake because it means mix it up and let it do its thing, I don’t have to babysit it.
The real key is making sure to cook it enough without overcooking it. So if you have a meat thermometer, it would be good to insert it into the thickest chicken piece, in the center of the pan, and cook until it reaches 165 degrees. If you’re loving this delicious recipe using chicken, try this Lemon Butter Chicken too!
Want more easy chicken casserole recipes?
- Cheddar Bay Chicken Bake
- Chicken & Wild Rice Casserole
- Chicken Parmesan Baked Ziti
- Skillet Chicken Noodle Casserole Recipe
- Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- More dinner recipes…
Tools used to make this Monte Cristo Chicken Bake recipe
Mixing Bowl: These mixing bowls are perfect for mixing and serving. I love the varied sizes so I always have to right size bowl for all my mixing needs.
Baking Dish: This baking dish is a must-have for any home cook. I actually have 3 of them in my cupboard, and each dish comes with a lid for storing leftovers or taking your dishes on the go.
Aluminum Foil: Foil is one of my favorite kitchen essentials. It helps keep food from browning too quickly, keeps clean up easy, and lets me make delicious foil packet meals!
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 Tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs honey
- ½ cup cream of mushroom soup
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp thyme
- 1 Tbs chives, chopped
- ½ cup uncooked white rice
- 2 Tbs dijon mustard (does not go in sauce)
- 6 chicken breasts
- 12 slices of Canadian Bacon
- 6 slices of Swiss Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F,
- Mix sauce ingredients together in a bowl, set aside
- Pound 6 chicken breasts, so they are at an even thickness and will cook evenly
- In a 9 x 13 baking dish, sprinkle white rice over the bottom
- Place 6 chicken breasts over top of rice.
- Spread dijon mustard over the chicken breasts.
- Layer Canadian Bacon over the top of the chicken
- Spread sauce mixture over the top of it all
- Top with slices of Swiss cheese
- Bake covered 40-45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes until golden brown and sauce is thickened.
- Garnish with herbs if desired