One Pot Chicken and Broccoli Rice is an essential back-pocket recipe for those really busy nights that takes just 20 minutes to prepare and is all made in ONE pot!
Chicken and rice recipes have always been a welcomed dinner at my house. Ever since I was little, my mom or grandma would serve up some variation of a chicken and rice recipe a couple of times a month. The dinners were always easy to make, baked in one pot, and didn’t dent the wallet either. These days I still love chicken and rice, but I want it ready quickly for an easy weeknight meal. This One Pot Chicken and Broccoli Rice is a 20-minute dinner the whole will love. Seriously easy to make and a seriously good chicken broccoli rice casserole to eat.
ONE POT CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI RICE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
I still remember the day I first shared this One Pot Chicken and Broccoli Rice recipe with a friend. We were standing at the dog park, throwing the ball for our dogs. She was sighing and complaining about how she has to make 2 meals every night. One for her and her husband, and another for the boys.
I stared at her in disbelief. “What??!” I gasped. “You make TWO different meals every night?? Like you don’t have enough to do!” I was flabbergasted. Because she had not only just had her 3rd son, the two elder boys are a bundle of extreme energy she has to keep up with AND she had gone back to full-time work just 4 months after giving birth. Plus I always joke that she actually has 4 sons. Her husband being the fourth. 😉 She is the busiest person I know. And to top it off – she was making TWO meals every night?? So of course, being the food-obsessed person I am, I set about pulling together a set of recipes for her. And this recipe topped the list.
When I first sent her the recipe, she was a bit dubious. “Not sure the boys will go for it, but I’ll give it a go for sure!”, she wrote back. 12 hours later: “OMG!!! They LOVED IT!!!! I chopped up the broccoli smaller so it mixed in better, but they ate it!! Well, most of it. You know what Joey and Zac are like. And Dave LOVED it too! That rice is DA BOMB!”
And truly, it is. This really is all about the rice. Because it’s not just plain rice, it’s a bit creamy and has the added flavor of parmesan AND Monterey Jack cheese. I made this with chicken and broccoli because they’re two staples in my household. But really, you could swap them out for anything, using the same cooking method I use in the recipe below. The key to this is cooking the broccoli (or whatever vegetables you choose to use) ON the rice. That’s how I make this 20-minute dinner all in one pot.
Want more one pot recipes?
- One Pan Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice
- One Pot White Chicken Lasagna Soup
- One Pot Alfredo Pasta
- Creamy Chipotle Chicken
- One Pot Spinach Artichoke Pasta
- More dinner recipes…
Tools used to make this One Pot Chicken and Broccoli Rice recipe
Large Skillet: This skillet is my go-to kitchen tool. It’s large circumference and high sides make it perfect for cooking anything from one pan meals to soups and sauces.
Large Pot: This pot is a kitchen essential for everything from dinner to desserts. I use mine all the time and with proper care, it’ll last for years and years.
Wooden Spoon: Wooden spoons are a kitchen essential. I keep a bunch of them on hand for every meal from breakfast to dinner.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup milk (whole or 2%)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 1 small head broccoli cut into florets
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- Heat oil in a skillet with a lid OR in a large pot over high heat. Add the garlic and onion, and cook for 3 minutes stirring frequently until the onion is translucent. Add rice and stir until translucent.
- Add the chicken broth, milk, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Place the lid on the pan and turn the heat down to medium-low. Cook for 8-12 minutes (or until the rice is almost done).
- Add shredded over the rice chicken then add the broccoli on top. Don't stir! Place the lid back on the pan and cook until the liquid is evaporated and the broccoli is just cooked, about 5 more minutes.
- Remove from stove and take off the lid. Sprinkle all three kinds of cheese over the dish, place the lid back on again, and let everything sit for 5 minutes. The residual heat will melt the cheese while the rice rests. Serve warm.