This 20-minute One Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice recipe is a delicious, quick, and easy dinner solution for your busiest nights!
Loaded with tender chicken, fluffy rice, and lots of broccoli and cheese, this One Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice is a simple meal that the whole family will enjoy. Creamy and flavorful, this crowd-pleasing chicken and rice dish can be ready in just 20 minutes!
DINNER, MINUS THE MESS
One-pot dinner recipes are the unsung heroes of my household. Not only is this One Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice recipe ready to serve in 20 minutes, but I can clean the whole thing up in 5 minutes or less. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.
If you want more family-friendly chicken and broccoli recipes, then try Crock Pot Cheesy Broccoli Chicken and Rice or creamy Chicken Divan.
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH ONE POT CHICKEN BROCCOLI RICE
- Easy Wedge Salad – This simple and delicious salad is a perfect side dish for creamy chicken and broccoli rice.
- Grilled Parmesan Garlic Bread – This bread is the perfect way to add a little crunch to this one pot meal.
Chicken: You will need 2 cups of shredded cooked chicken. I usually buy a rotisserie chicken and call it a day.
Veggies: This one-pot rice recipe has garlic, onion, and, of course, broccoli florets.
Rice: This recipe works best with long-grain white rice.
Cheese: Add freshly grated parmesan, shredded mozzarella, and cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese.
Liquid: Cook the rice in chicken broth or chicken stock and milk.
HOW TO MAKE ONE POT CHICKEN BROCCOLI RICE
STEP ONE: Heat the oil in a skillet (with a lid) or a large pot over high heat. Add the minced garlic and one small, finely chopped onion to the oil and cook until they are translucent. Add the white rice and stir until translucent.
STEP TWO: Add the chicken broth, milk, salt, and pepper. Place the lid on top and turn down the heat to medium-low. Cook the rice for 8-12 minutes or until it’s almost done.
STEP THREE: Add the shredded chicken, then place the broccoli on top of the chicken without stirring the pot. Replace the lid and continue to cook for another five minutes or until the liquid has evaporated and the broccoli is just cooked.
STEP FOUR: Remove One Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice from the stove and scatter all three kinds of cheese over the top of the dish. Replace the lid and allow the residual heat to melt the cheese while the rice rests for about 5 minutes. Once the cheese has melted, serve and enjoy!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- I recommend using a rotisserie chicken for this recipe because it helps keep this a true 20-minute recipe.
- Brown rice does not work in this recipe as written, as it takes twice as long to cook than white rice.
HOW TO CHANGE UP ONE POT CHICKEN BROCCOLI RICE
This recipe is so easy and such a crowd-pleaser in my house that I tend to make little variations here and there to justify serving it back-to-back each week. The good news is that this recipe works with a variety of different vegetables! I often substitute broccoli for carrots or peas or both! You can also add asparagus, spinach, or even cauliflower. Depending on the density of the vegetables, you may need to adjust cook time or cut them into smaller pieces, but the recipe remains otherwise the same.
HOW TO STORE CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI RICE
Any leftover One Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice can go into an airtight container and be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. To reheat in the microwave, spread the rice out over a plate or a shallow dish and cover it with a damp paper towel. This will help to keep the rice from drying out. Make sure to properly heat the dish all the way through before consuming.
OTHER ONE DISH RECIPES
- Sheet Pan Crispy Ranch Pork Chops
- Skillet Steak Bites with Potatoes
- Pecan Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- One Pan Chicken Stroganoff
- American Goulash
- One Pot Pad Thai
*This post was originally posted on 07/19/2016.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup milk (whole or 2%)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 1 small head broccoli cut into florets
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- Heat oil in a skillet with a lid OR in a large pot over high heat. Add the garlic and onion, and cook for 3 minutes stirring frequently until the onion is translucent. Add rice and stir until translucent.
- Add the chicken broth, milk, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Place the lid on the pan and turn the heat down to medium-low. Cook for 8-12 minutes (or until the rice is almost done).
- Add shredded over the rice chicken then add the broccoli on top. Don't stir! Place the lid back on the pan and cook until the liquid is evaporated and the broccoli is just cooked, about 5 more minutes.
- Remove from stove and take off the lid. Sprinkle all three kinds of cheese over the dish, place the lid back on again, and let everything sit for 5 minutes. The residual heat will melt the cheese while the rice rests. Serve warm.
Mathew Jeff says
My mother was able to make White chicken recipe ,a labor intensive recipe to become sure. This timeless dish is now a fancy version of creamed chicken. You may earn a quick version with roasted soup, however, it tastes such as fried soup, and also can be high in salt. The only means to get the amazing comfort I needed was to adapt the white chicken cream recipe.
This dish came together easily and was lovely! I followed the instructions exactly, yet tripled the amount of broccoli and it was perfect! Thank you for posting and I would highly recommend!
Aubrey Cota says
I’m so happy to hear that, thank you so much Krista!! Take a look around, I hope you’ll find more recipes that you love.