Creamy, tender, and super flavorful Chicken Divan is an easy-to-make comfort meal that the whole family can enjoy!
Delicious and classic Chicken Divan is a super simple casserole made with broccoli and cheese in a creamy sauce that you won’t believe. Ready in just 45 minutes, this chicken dish will have everyone at the table licking their plates.
AN AMERICAN CLASSIC
Chicken Divan was first served up at the Divan Parisian Restaurant at the Chatham Hotel in New York. This classic comfort dish has been around for almost 100 years and is so delicious that it’s not going anywhere anytime soon.
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN DIVAN
- Parmesan Truffle Roasted Potatoes – Roasted potatoes belong on any plate in my house!
- Garlic Lime Green Beans – These citrusy green beans add the perfect balance to this creamy casserole.
- Classic Cobb Salad – Fresh, crunchy Cobb salad is a great side dish to easy Chicken Divan.
Chicken: You will need 2 pounds of cubed chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste.
Veggies: It’s not Chicken Divan without fresh broccoli florets!
Sauce: This sauce requires a can of cream of chicken soup, a cup of sour cream, and a 1/2 cup of half and half mixed with some shredded cheddar cheese, garlic powder, and salt.
Toppings: More cheddar cheese and bread crumbs mixed with melted butter complete this delicious comfort dish.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN DIVAN
STEP ONE: Start by preheating your oven to 360 degrees F. Next, season the cubed chicken breast with salt and pepper. Heat some oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and place the chicken and broccoli into the pan.
STEP THREE: In a mixing bowl, stir together the soup, sour cream, half and half, 1 cup of shredded cheddar, garlic powder, and salt. Once the mixture is smooth, pour the sauce into the baking dish over the chicken and broccoli. Mix the ingredients together and top the mixture with the remaining shredded cheese.
STEP FOUR: Mix the melted butter and bread crumbs together in a small bowl. Spread this crumb mixture evenly over the top of the cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove and serve once the cheese is melted, the sauce is bubbly, and the crumbs are golden brown.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- You can use frozen broccoli if you prefer, but be sure to allow it to thaw completely prior to use. This will help to keep the sauce thick.
- Failure to properly drain the chicken and broccoli will also result in a thinner sauce.
- You can use cream of mushroom soup in place of the cream of chicken.
CAN YOU MAKE CHICKEN DIVAN AHEAD OF TIME?
Chicken Divan Casserole is a great make-ahead meal! All you have to do is cook the chicken and broccoli, mix in the sauce, and layer the cheese. Once you’re done assembling it, cover it and place in the fridge until you’re ready to bake and serve. Add the bread crumb topping just before baking to ensure it keeps that perfect golden brown finish!
CAN YOU FREEZE CHICKEN DIVAN?
This recipe is a jack of all trades and makes a great freezer casserole to have on hand or to gift to neighbors and friends! The best way to freeze this Chicken Divan casserole is to assemble it in a disposable foil pan. Assemble it like normal and stop just short of baking it. Seal it up and freeze it until you’re ready to bake and serve. Then simply defrost the casserole in the fridge and bake it as directed.
OTHER EASY DINNER RECIPES
- Cheesy Instant Pot Chicken Pasta
- Skillet Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Crock Pot Pork Chops
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets (see note)
- 10 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 360 degrees F.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and pour in the oil. Once the oil is hot add the chicken and broccoli, and cook until the chicken is cooked through. Drain any liquid from the skillet.
- Spread the chicken and broccoli out in the bottom of a 9-inch x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Mix together the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, half and half, 1 cup of cheddar cheese, garlic powder, and salt in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli and mix everything together. Sprinkle with the remaining cup of cheddar cheese.
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter and bread crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted, the bread crumbs are golden, and the sauce is bubbly. Remove from the oven and serve warm.