I love a good Classic Cobb Salad! Topped with the best fresh ingredients, this hearty salad makes a great lunch or dinner dish!
Who doesn’t love a cool, crispy salad in the summertime? Sometimes a salad sounds so good for lunch, but I fear it won’t fill me up. That is why I love to share this recipe for the best Cobb Salad!
Topped with homemade ranch dressing, this salad has so many delicious toppings it is literally its own meal. It also pairs well with a classic baked potato for dinner!
CLASSIC COBB SALAD
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SIDE DISH pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Salads are one of my favorite dishes to bring along to potlucks or barbecues. They’re cheap, easy to make, and I can customize the recipe as needed based on who I will be serving. This Classic Cobb Salad is always a crowd pleaser!
COBB SALAD INGREDIENTS
Bacon- I use thick-cut bacon because it keeps its crunch the best! I also want to make sure there the saltiness of the bacon does not get lost among the other ingredients. You can also substitute or add other proteins, such as ham, chicken, or even shrimp!
Egg- I really love eggs in salads so I tend to go heavy. I would say that a good rule of thumb is one egg per person you will be serving to.
Blue Cheese- Sometimes, when serving this salad to guests, I leave the blue cheese off to the side. In my experience, you either love blue cheese or you don’t and I would hate to ruin this amazing salad for anyone!
Ranch Dressing- This recipe uses Homemade Ranch Dressing, but you can use whichever dressing you prefer.
HOW TO MAKE COBB SALAD
Once your ingredients are chopped and prepped, this salad is a breeze to throw together!
- First, place a large skillet over medium heat. Then cook then bacon strips until they’re nice a crispy. Drain the bacon on a paper towel-lined plate. Once the bacon is cool, chop it up.
- After the bacon is ready, place the halved tomatoes into a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir until the tomatoes are coated.
- Next, add the chopped romaine lettuce hearts to a large salad bowl or serving bowl.
- Now top the salad with chopped-up eggs, tomatoes, crispy bacon, ripe avocado, and blue cheese crumbles.
- Toss the salad with homemade dressing and serve immediately.
For a classic cobb salad look, arrange the toppings in lines like I did here, or in sections on top of the lettuce. You can also split the lettuce into 4 individual bowls, add 1/4 of each topping. Then drizzle dressing on top before serving. That way you keep the pretty presentation all the way to the table.
WHAT IS COBB SALAD
A cobb salad is a hearty, American garden salad. This salad consists of chopped greens and is topped with fresh cherry tomatoes and avocado as well as hearty bacon, hard-boiled eggs, and blue cheese. This salad is so robust it can be served as a main dish.
One of the best things about this cobb salad recipe is that there are a dozen ways to change and customize it. You can top your salad with a variety of dressings, from a vinaigrette to a homemade ranch dressing. You can even switch up the proteins and make a chicken cobb salad or a shrimp cobb salad. I love grabbing rotisserie chicken at the store and then adding it to this salad for a light, yet filling dinner.
Cobb Salad Dressing
Classic cobb salad is often served with a red wine vinaigrette dressing. This light and tangy dressing is a great compliment to the flavors of the salad and is one of the healthier dressing options out there.
My dressing of choice is my own Homemade Ranch Dressing! To me, the best cobb salad is topped with a creamy, thick dressing. Since I’m usually indulging in this salad as my main dinner entree, I like to go all out!
Another indulgent dressing I sometimes use is blue cheese. If you’re a big wedge salad person, you will love pairing a thick and creamy blue cheese dressing with your cobb salad.
TRY THESE OTHER CRAZY GOOD SALAD RECIPES!
- Chicken Caesar Salad
- Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Easy BLT Pasta Salad
- Easy Wedge Salad
- BLT Salad
- More SIDE DISH recipes…
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS COBB SALAD RECIPE
Salad Bowl – The perfect cobb salad recipe deserves the perfect presentation! This bowl is great for serving guests.
Salad Tongs – Salad tongs are a must! With so many awesome mix-ins, you are gonna want a little bit of everything in each bite.
*This post originally posted on 08/27/2015.
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 romaine hearts chopped
- 4 hard-boiled eggs chopped
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Homemade Ranch Dressing to taste
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon until crispy flipping as needed, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Once cooled, chop up the bacon.
- In a small bowl, toss the halved tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Add the romaine lettuce to a large salad bowl. Top with the bacon, tomatoes, eggs, avocado, and blue cheese crumbles. For the traditional cobb salad look, arrange toppings in lines or in sections on top of the lettuce.
- Top with dressing, toss everything together, and serve immediately.