Tender chicken covered in a delicious, creamy mushroom sauce, Instant Pot Chicken Marsala is an easy way to make restaurant-quality food FAST!
In our house, chicken is king when it comes to dinner. It’s such a versatile protein that you can fix it up in so many different ways. Chicken tacos, chicken meatballs, buffalo chicken dip, I mean come on, chicken recipes are the BEST.
One of my absolute favorite chicken dishes is a classic chicken marsala. Usually, a good chicken marsala takes a while to prepare, but not anymore! Instant Pot Chicken Marsala is an elegant, delicious meal that you can prep, cook, and serve all in under 30 minutes!
INSTANT POT CHICKEN MARSALA
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Are you a mushroom lover or a mushroom hater? Mushrooms are one of those foods that you either love or despise… like cilantro for example. Just like I’ll never understand how someone couldn’t love a good cilantro-infused salsa, I’ll be on a constant mission to convert people to the mushroom side.
Ok, so even if you’re not a mushroom lover, hear me out on this one. Chicken Marsala is one of those fancy dishes that you order at your favorite Italian restaurant. It’s a delicious meal bursting with flavor that practically makes you want to lick your plate clean right in the middle of the restaurant.
Well, no more embarrassing plate licking in public, you can make your very own chicken marsala at home! And the best part? You can make this flavorful instant pot marsala chicken in under 30 minutes. Fancy food, but super fast!
So, if you’re a mushroom hater, I BEG you to try out this instant pot chicken marsala recipe. It is divine. And you just might switch over to the mushroom-loving side!
Should you use sweet or dry marsala for chicken marsala?
There are only a few key ingredients you’ll need to make the perfect chicken marsala in an instant pot. Here’s what you’ll need:
Marsala Wine – when picking out a wine for your instant pot chicken marsala you’ll want to use a dry marsala. The reason for this is that a dry wine gives an excellent, rich flavor that really reduces well with the mushrooms creating a creamy delectable sauce. Typically you want to save a sweet marsala for a scrumptious Italian dessert like tiramisu!
Chicken – my go-to cut of chicken to cook with is always boneless, skinless chicken breasts. They’re lean and cook up perfectly in an instant pot. But you can absolutely make instant pot marsala chicken with chicken thighs (bone-in or bone-out!) if you prefer.
Mushrooms – I recommend using classic cremini mushrooms for your chicken marsala. They hold their texture great and they soak up the flavor of the marsala sauce perfectly.
How to make Chicken Marsala in an Instant Pot
The instant pot is for sure one of my favorite inventions of the past few years. You can make this entire chicken marsala dish (from sautéing chicken to sauce making) inside that one instant pot. Talk about easy clean-up!
- Your first step is going to be to prep your chicken – sprinkle each chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Next, turn your instant pot to saute and melt 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add chicken breast in batches. Cook 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside.
- Now it’s time to get working on your delicious marsala sauce! Add the remaining butter and oil to the pot. Next, add shallots and saute. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and then add in the mushrooms.
- Next, turn the pot off and add the chicken broth, marsala wine, and herbs de Provence to the instant pot. This will release all those brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Yum! Return the sauteed chicken to the pot as well.
- Turn the Instant Pot on to its manual setting (high pressure) and set the timer for 8 minutes. Be sure to turn the valve to sealing.
- When the cooking time is up, quick release the pressure and then remove the chicken from the pot. Cover the chicken with foil to keep it warm and set it aside for now.
- Take a half cup of the liquid in the instant pot and put it in a separate bowl. Whisk in the 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Next, turn the pot to the saute setting. Slowly add the flour slurry to the sauce while stirring continuously. This is going to thicken up your flavorful marsala sauce! Stir and saute until your sauce is thickened.
- Serve chicken on a platter with the mushroom sauce poured over the top and parsley for garnish.
Chicken Marsala is a delicious meal in and of itself, I love serving it with a simple side of steamed green beans and mashed potatoes. But, if you’re looking for a heartier meal, go ahead and serve your instant pot chicken marsala with pasta or even over a bed of rice. Both pasta and rice soak up the marsala sauce perfectly!
How long should you cook chicken in the Instant Pot?
For this instant pot chicken marsala recipe, I suggest sautéing your chicken first and then manually pressure cooking it for an additional 8 minutes. This helps for the flavors of the mushrooms and marsala wine to really soak in and create a tender, juicy chicken.
This timing is of course if you’re using fresh chicken breasts. If you’re panicking because you totally forgot to take any chicken out of the freezer (we’ve all been there…), don’t stress. Check out this post to learn how to make instant pot chicken breast with frozen chicken!
Looking for more easy dinner ideas? Check out these other Real Housemoms favorites!
- Bacon Ranch Chicken
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Pot Roast
- Cheesy Skillet Ranch Chicken Thighs
- Cheesy Instant Pot Chicken Pasta
- Crock Pot Pork Chops
- more DINNER recipes…
Tools used to make this Instant Pot Chicken Marsala recipe
Instant Pot: This appliance has saved me countless hours in the kitchen. If you don’t have one yet, get one NOW!
Serving Platter: A fancy meal like instant pot chicken marsala deserves a fancy platter to be served on!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 large shallot peeled and minced
- 4 clove garlic minced
- 16 ounces button mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 2 teaspoons herbs de Provence (or Italian seasoning)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Fresh parsley chopped
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute setting and melt 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in the pot. Add two chicken breasts and cook for 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pot to a plate. Cook the remaining chicken and then transfer it to the plate. Set aside.
- Add remaining butter and olive oil to the pot. Once butter is melted, add shallots and cook until softened. Add garlic and mushrooms, cook for 1 minute.
- Turn off the pot and add in chicken broth, marsala wine, and herbs de Provence. Add chicken breasts back to the Instant Pot as well.
- Lock the Instant Pot lid in place and set the valve to sealing. Cook on manual setting (high pressure) for 8 minutes.
- When the cooking time is done, quick release the pressure. Remove chicken from the pot and set aside. (I cover it will foil to keep things warm.)
- Take out 1/2 cup of cooking liquid and whisk the flour into it.
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute. Slowly whisk the flour slurry into the sauce. Keep stirring and cook until sauce has thickened.
- Serve chicken warm with mushrooms sauce spooned over the top. Sprinkle some parsley over the top for garnish.