Lemon lovers pucker up with these LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS drizzled with lemon glaze. It’s a flavor explosion in your mouth that is perfect for breakfast, brunch or just snacking!
Who’s with me in the land of lemon lovers? In my eyes you can never go wrong with anything that has lemons – sweet or savory recipes – anything will do! It’s my favorite and I love creating and making recipes using this popular fruit. If I could, I would have a lemon tree in my yard but I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t last in the Land of 10,000 Lakes – apple trees, yes – lemon, sadly no.
So about once a week I head to my local Trader Joe’s and buy a bag to have on hand. This week’s recipe are muffins with lots of zest and juice. Oh and don’t forget those poppy seeds (unless of course you remember that Seinfeld episode so don’t have one before getting any tests done!)
Real Housemoms TV
Do you know one of the secrets to a making a good muffin? Start your oven on a high temperature and start by baking them for about 5 minutes (as directions state) then turn the oven down. It helps create that puffed topped. I had heard about trying that trick and this time when I made muffins, they did have a domed top and weren’t flat. The other secret is not over mixing the batter. Both of these tricks gave me great results and I was pleased with the texture also.
Of course you could keep these all to yourself but I think these would be super cute in a basket and maybe drop off to some new neighbors, have on hand for guests or have an impromptu coffee clutch. If you leave your windows open, you neighbors will notice the wonderful aroma and come over anyway so put that pot of coffee on!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup soft butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 425 and then line a muffin pan with liners
- In a medium bowl sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds together - set aside
- In a large bowl beat the butter on high until is creamy (about 90 seconds) then add the sugar and beat together until well mixed.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, zest and yogurt mixing until just combined. Then add in the lemon juice and stir in
- Add the flour mixture a little at a time until just combined
- Place batter in liners about 3/4 full
- Bake for 5 minutes then turn oven down to 350.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Let cool on wire rack
- Make glaze by combining the powdered sugar and lemon juice until you get a drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle on muffins
- Keep for 3 days at room temperature
Other muffin recipes you might enjoy:
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!