ORANGE SOUR CREAM POPPY SEED POUND CAKE is the perfect cake to welcome the warm weather!
My son, Madden loves poppy seed cake. In fact this year for his 9th birthday he requested a lemon poppy seed cake. When the one I made turned into a horrible disaster because I thought I would experiment, well I had to resort to a store bought cake. And it was only after calling ever store and bakery in town I found one. After that I decided to stick to what I know is good and don’t stray.
Real Housemoms TV
This Orange Sour Cream Poppy Seed Cake is after one of my favorite cakes to make Best Ever Lemon Poppy Seed Cake – it literally is the best. I thought I would shake things up a bit and add orange instead, wanting to see if anyone would be able to tell. The kids instantly tasted their favorite orange fruit and exclaimed this to be the best non-chocolate cake they have ever had in their life. And most importantly Madden approved. I added a sweet honey glaze but you could stick with a traditional powder sugar glaze if so desired.
While in the spring most people look forward to the flowers blooming, I look forward to cake and cookies. Looking for some more springtime cake inspiration? Be sure to check out my Raspberry Chocolate Layer Cake! Cheers to springtime weather and baking.
- 12 tablespoons 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons orange zest
- 2-3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Prepare 10-inch bundt pan by greasing and flouring it. Set oven to 350 degrees F and allow it to preheat while you prepare the cake.
- In a small mixing bowl, sift together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds and salt, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl and using an electric mixer, I used my stand mixer; cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to mix in fully before adding the next egg. Stir in the orange zest, orange juice and sour cream.
- Reduce the mixer to low and stir in the flour mixture until combined, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Spoon in the batter into the prepared pan. Spread out evenly using a knife, place in oven and bake 40-45 minutes. Or until a light golden brown and the cake it starting to pull away from the pan, if your cake tester (ie: toothpick) comes out clean you are ready to remove from the oven.
- Let cake cool on a wire rack for 30-45 minutes. Remove cake from pan and transfer to a cake plate or dish.
- While cake is cooling on cake plate, make the glaze. Whisk together confectioners' sugar, honey and orange zest, adjusting the amount of honey to your taste and the consistency you want for your icing.
- Drizzle the icing over the cake then cut, serve and devour – the best kind of cake is one that is shared. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Food Network Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!