This WARM CHORIZO AND BEER CHEESE DIP is an easy appetizer for your next game day party!
Are you looking for an awesome snack for all of your upcoming game day parties? I’ve got just the thing! This creamy, spicy, Chorizo Beer and Cheese Dip is the perfect party food. It’s a simple recipe, you can make it the day before, and you get to scoop it up on delicious homemade pretzel bites (or bread, or crackers, really anything carb-y). What could be better?!
Real Housemoms TV
Football season is a pretty big deal around my house. Weekends are spent in front of the t.v. cheering on our favorite team or heading to a game to cheer from the stands. Whether we’re home or out we are always surrounded by friends and tailgating, or homegating, has become a big event. I’ve got a whole list of recipes that are always a hit but you know me, I love to try new things and game days give me a whole crowd of people to test out a new recipe on!
I picked up a pale ale from a local microbrewery for a party we had last weekend and I loved the flavor so much that I decided to give it a try in a beer cheese dip. I’ve never made one before but I knew the basics so I winged it. I started with a roux of flour and butter whisking them together over medium high heat until the flour began to cook. Then I added milk, the pale ale (you can use your favorite beer!) dry mustard for a little tang, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce just because. Everything smelled amazing and it only got better when I added cheddar and smoked gouda to the mix. It made a rich, creamy cheese sauce with a smokey flavor that is irresistible. Since I was making this for a group of hungry guys I wanted to make it a little heartier so I cooked some spicy ground chorizo and added it to the dip. I have to say, the cheese dip was good on it’s own but that chorizo made it out of this world!
I served my dip with some homemade pretzel bites but you can use your favorite crusty bread (I think it would be amazing in a bread bowl!) or crackers. My husband wants to pour it over a chili dog the next time I make it …sounds good to me!
- In a skillet cook ground chorizo over medium high heat until it is fully cooked. Drain grease and set to the side.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Create a roux by adding the flour to the butter. Stir continuously as flour cooks, 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add milk and then beer whisking until it is fully combined.
- Turn the heat up to medium high and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add mustard, Worcestershire, and hot sauce.
- Continue cooking for 5-6 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Add cheddar cheese and smoked Gouda cheese a little at a time, stirring it in until all of it has been added and the mixture is smooth.
- Add cooked chorizo
- Salt and pepper to taste.
If you are looking for more game day recipes check these out!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!