Buttered Rum Snickerdoodles are a classic cookie kicked up a notch with the festive flavor of buttered rum. They’re bound to become your new favorite cookie!
Are you a snickerdoodle fan? Who can resist that soft cookie bite with the great taste of cinnamon sugar? I know I can’t. Especially when they are these wonderful Buttered Rum Snickerdoodles! With the holidays fast approaching, it seems like everyone is on the lookout for cookie recipes to make. These cookies will make a wonderful addition to your holiday cookie menu this year. Or, make them for your family as an everyday treat!
Real Housemoms TV
During the holidays, I tend to bake a plethora of cookie varieties for my family to enjoy and to give away as gifts. I always bake up plenty of classics; chocolate chip, peanut butter, sugar and snickerdoodles. But, each year, I like to experiment and “kick a classic up a notch.” This year, snickerdoodles get a make over.
They start with my favorite snickerdoodle recipe. I’ve been using the base recipe for these cookies for years. I always get good results from it. But this time around, I decided to flavor the cookie dough with both butter and rum extracts. What a flavor delight! The buttered rum flavor pairs perfectly with the cinnamon sugar coating!
When making these cookies, it’s important to not over bake them. I found that exactly 8 minutes in my oven produced the perfect cookie. These cookies come out a little crispy on the outside, but nice and soft on the inside. And, they come out fluffy. Make sure the baking soda and cream of tartar are fresh when you make these cookies for the best results! If you have any leftover cookies, store them in an air tight container to keep them fresh.
Buttered Rum Snickerdoodles were a hit with my family and they will be a hit with your family too! Bake up a batch of these wonderful cookies to eat today or freeze a some for later! These baked cookies freeze well.
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 - 2 tsp. rum extract depending on how much rum flavor you like
- 1 tsp. butter flavored extract
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 TBS granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer, cream butter and 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, beating between each addition.
- Add in all the flavorings and combine well.
- In separate med bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix until dough comes together.
- In small bowl, combine the 2 TBS of granulated sugar with 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- With cookie scoop, portion out dough and roll into balls. Roll balls in cinnamon sugar mixture and place on cookie sheet, spacing about 2" apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 - 10 minutes, or until set. (I baked them for exactly 8 min)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1 - 2 min on cookie sheets, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in airtight container once completely cooled.
More delicious cookie recipes you might enjoy!
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!