Skinny Broccoli Macaroni & Cheese is made all in one pot and is rich, creamy, and lighter on calories! Made with my special lightened-up ultra-creamy sauce!
SKINNY BROCCOLI MACARONI & CHEESE
Love it? Pin it to your DINNER board to SAVE it!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest for more great recipes!
I know setting resolutions for the new year is so cliche, but I always try to set one up for myself. I always make the super cliche ones, like losing weight (don’t we all want that?!), save more money, etc. This year I was thinking about setting a personal goal for myself, and that is to put myself out there more. Of course, I would like to lose a little weight, so that’s why I am going to start off the new year with this ultra-decadent skinny broccoli macaroni & cheese. Have you made your resolution yet?
Don’t be afraid of the “skinny” word in recipes. I used to be because I always thought it meant less flavor and it doesn’t. In reality, sometimes it does, but trust me on this broccoli macaroni & cheese. It’s everything you want in a macaroni & cheese – creaminess and cheesiness. This macaroni & cheese has so much flavor. I promise you everyone will be coming back for seconds, maybe even thirds!
My special lightened-up ultra-creamy sauce consists of pureed cauliflower. If you were to take a bite out of this macaroni & cheese, you wouldn’t even notice there was cauliflower in it! It has just enough creamy sauce that hugs each and every noodle just right. It all started with a small cauliflower steam, then I diced it into florets, and then steamed it. Once it was tender, I placed the cauliflower and a little bit of vegetable stock to a blender and blended it until creamy. Pureed cauliflower also makes for delicious and low-carb mashed potatoes! My favorite, too.
If you love macaroni & cheese, I highly recommend my One-Pot Chicken & Vegetable Mac and Cheese! It’s so good and decadent. If you are in the mood for a lightened-up casserole, I would also recommend my Skinny Tuna Noodle Casserole (one of my favorites!).
- 1 small head of cauliflower diced into florets and steamed
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Broccoli Macaroni & Cheese
- 12- ounce box of whole-wheat macaroni noodles
- 4 cups frozen broccoli florets
- cauliflower puree
- 1 1/3 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 1/3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- croutons to garnish (optional)
- Pulse the steamed cauliflower and vegetable broth in a blender until smooth and creamy. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside.
Broccoli Macaroni & Cheese
- Cook the noodles al dente according to the directions on the back of the package. The last 5 minutes, place the broccoli florets into the pasta. Drain and place the noodles and broccoli back into the same pot.
- Turn the heat to low and add the cauliflower puree, Monterey jack cheese, and sharp cheddar cheese and allow the cheese to melt. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the mixture into a serving dish and garnish with croutons.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!