Simple and delicious Frito Pie is the best comfort dish for snacking on with friends or serving to your family for a fun dinner!
This classic Frito Pie is made with deliciously seasoned beef chili topped with melty cheese and salty, crunchy Fritos. Ready in less than an hour, this easy casserole-style dish will make the whole family go wild.
NOT YOUR MAMA’S NACHOS
There are a ton of ways you can recreate and customize the classic Frito Pie recipe, but this casserole-style approach makes it totally justifiable to serve these up for dinner! Chili, cheese, and crunchy Fritos come together to upstage and outshine every nacho dish you’ve ever had.
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH FRITO PIE
- Southwest Corn Salsa – This fresh salsa is perfect to scoop on top of your Frito Pie for an added crunch.
- Garden Fresh Guacamole – Cool and creamy homemade guacamole goes great with Frito Pie!
Beef: This recipe uses a pound of ground beef.
Seasoning: You will need chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper to season this Frito Pie meat.
Mix-ins: Sauté the beef in olive oil with garlic and onions. Once cooked, stir in black beans, salsa, and corn.
Toppings: Top this dish with shredded cheddar cheese and Fritos. Finish it by adding a dollop of sour cream.
HOW TO MAKE FRITO PIE
STEP ONE: Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees F. While the oven heats up, add olive oil to a large skillet and heat it over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic to the oil to cook while stirring frequently for about 2-3 minutes until they soften. Next, add the ground beef, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Break up the beef, cooking for about 5-6 minutes or until it is browned. Salt and pepper the meat to taste.
STEP TWO: Next, add in the black beans, salsa, and corn. Cook the meat mixture for an additional 4-5 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone from the mixture.
STEP THREE: Transfer the meat mixture to a 9×13 inch casserole dish and top it with the shredded cheddar cheese and Fritos.
STEP FOUR: Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the cheese is melted. Serve Frito Pie warm with your choice of toppings, such as sour cream and chopped parsley.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- For a spicier Frito Pie, add in chopped up or sliced Jalapeños to the meat or as a topping.
- You can use a cast iron skillet to keep this a one-pot meal and make clean up easier!
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER FRITO PIE
You can place any leftovers covered in the fridge. When you go to reheat them, place them back in the oven until they are warmed all the way through. This is will help keep the Fritos crispy, though fair warning, they are always at their best the first time around.
CAN I MAKE FRITO PIE AHEAD OF TIME?
The easier way to cut some of the prep time from this recipe is to make the chili in advance and keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to place it in the dish to bake. When you’re ready to serve this Frito Pie, place the pre-cooked chili in the casserole dish, layer on the shredded cheese and Fritos, and then bake.
OTHER SHARABLE RECIPES
- Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Spinach Artichoke Dip Sliders
- Jalapeno Crab Dip
- Dorito Casserole
- Taco Casserole
- Baked Ziti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled & diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 19 ounces canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup canned corn drained
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 5 cups Fritos corn chips
- Fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- Sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Once hot, add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned, about 5-6 minutes. Break up the meat as it cooks.
- Stir in the black beans, salsa, and corn. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, or until most of the liquid is gone.
- Transfer the contents of the skillet to a 9-inch x 13-inch casserole dish. Then top with the cheese and finally the Fritos.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm. I like to sprinkle some parsley on top and add a dollop of sour cream.