Skinny Cream of Mushroom Soup is a guilt-free way to enjoy a deliciously rich and creamy soup. You’ll be licking the bowl, it’s that good!
I’m definitely a BIG fan of soups. Give me a steaming hot bowl of any type of soup and I am a happy girl. I love that you can use them as a complete dish or even as a side dish for a bigger meal.
Whether it’s my hearty Taco Soup or this delicious Skinny Cream of Mushroom soup, I love whipping up a big batch of soup. This homemade cream of mushroom soup has a special place in my heart though, it’s comfort food while still being super good for you!
SKINNY CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SIDE DISH board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Growing up, chicken noodle soup was always my go-to comfort food. My grandmother would make a huge batch of soup and drop off containers at every family member’s house. It made me feel better when I was sick, filled me up after a busy day at school, and warmed my soul on a chilly winter night.
It’s because of those fond memories of my grandmother’s soup that I have such a deep love for creating soup recipes of my own. I’m truly an equal-opportunity soup chef. I love veggie-based soups, creamy pasta soups, chili, really anything I can slurp up with a spoon!
A friend of mine recently challenged me to try and create my own recipe for cream of mushroom soup. When she asked, I had such a confused look on my face.
You mean cream of mushroom soup is used for something other than a recipe ingredient? AND you make it homemade??? Not from a can? I was floored.
But, a challenge is a challenge, and I am SO glad I took my friend up on it. The outcome of this soup experiment is perfection. Homemade cream of mushroom soup is creamy, filled with earthy flavors, and bonus – it’s actually good for you!
Move aside Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup and Grandma’s chicken noodle soup (shhhh, don’t tell anyone!), but this cream of mushroom soup recipe is my NEW comfort food favorite!
Cream of Mushroom Ingredients
Baby bella mushrooms – A baby bella mushroom (also known as a crimini mushroom) is simply a young portabello mushroom that was harvested before it grew to full size. These mushrooms are brown in color and have a delicious earthy flavor that is perfect for this homemade cream of mushroom soup!
If you can’t find baby bells in the store, you could swap out for white button mushrooms. If you’re a mushroom lover, you’ll notice the difference, but it’s pretty subtle.
Herbs – the thing that gives this delicious cream of mushroom soup its unique flavor is the combination of yummy herbs and spices. Mixing up sage, rosemary, and sauteed onion and garlic makes for a delicious, hearty soup that will warm your soul!
Greek Yogurt – the secret that makes this soup truly “skinny” is that there isn’t actually any cream in it! Instead, I use Greek yogurt to give the soup a creamy texture. I promise you, it’s a GREAT substitute for cream of mushroom soup (especially the canned stuff…).
How to Make Cream of Mushroom Soup
If you’ve got the need for some comfort food ASAP, don’t worry. This isn’t one of those soup recipes that take all day to simmer. You’ll be on your way to slurping some delicious homemade cream of mushroom soup in under 45 minutes!
- Start off by grabbing your favorite large stockpot and heat some olive oil in it over medium heat.
- Then you’ll add the chopped onion and cook until it is softened. It’ll take about 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Make sure that you continue to stir it, nobody wants burned garlic.
- Once the garlic and onions are cooked, add all the mushrooms and sautee.
- Then, stir in the salt, pepper, sage, and rosemary. Just thinking about the amazing smell right now makes me want to whip up a batch of this amazing cream of mushroom soup! Allow this mixture to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, you’re going to make a mixture that will help to thicken up your soup. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and white wine until all lumps are gone. Stir the wine mixture into the pot and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Next, grab a medium bowl and whisk together 1 cup of chicken broth with greek yogurt. (You can swap out for vegetable stock for vegetarian soup!) The yogurt will be what gives your soup that delicious creamy texture! Stir the Greek yogurt mixture and remaining chicken stock into the pot.
- Now you’re ready to bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer. Allow the soup to simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Portion your soup into bowls, and garnish with a little chopped parsley or even some fresh thyme if you like. Serve this soup while it’s still warm.
I like having all the pieces of mushroom in my soup. If you want a smooth soup, you can use an immersion blender to puree your soup right in the pot.
Is Cream of Mushroom Soup Healthy for You?
If you’re wondering if Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup is healthy for you, my answer would be no…not really. The canned variety of mushroom soup is loaded with sodium and artificial ingredients. Don’t get me wrong, I totally use the condensed canned soup for many recipes because it adds great flavor.
But, when I’m making an actual cream of mushroom soup (not as an added ingredient for a recipe), I try to make it on the healthier side.
This homemade cream of mushroom soup is in-fact considered “skinny” because there isn’t actually any heavy cream in it! Instead, I use Greek yogurt to give the soup the creamy texture it needs. Not only does the yogurt give the soup a delicious creamy flavor, but it also adds in calcium and probiotics!
How Do I Thicken Cream of Mushroom Soup?
Everyone has different opinions on how thick they like their cream of mushroom soup. This particular cream of mushroom soup recipe is right in the middle of soupy and solid haha. If you make it exactly as the recipe calls for, your cream of mushroom soup will be just how I like it. But, if you prefer thicker or thinner, then just do this:
To thin out your soup, simply add a bit more chicken stock.
To thicken up your soup, add in some more of the flour/wine mixture that you made earlier. The more flour in the soup, the thicker it will be. I promise, your homemade cream of mushroom soup will be delicious no matter how thick you make it!
Love soup season? Try some of my other favorite recipes!
- Beef Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Black Bean Soup
- Bacon Jalapeno Baked Potato Soup
- Wonton Soup
- more SIDE DISH recipes…
Tools used to make this Skinny Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe
Stock Pot: if you’re a big soup fan like me, you’ll need a giant stockpot. This one is my absolute favorite!
Sharp Knives: every home chef deserves a good set of kitchen knives. These ones are great for chopping up all your onions and mushrooms for this delicious cream of mushroom soup!
*This post originally posted on 9/19/2013.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped (or 1/4 tsp dried)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetables stock)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Flat-leaf parsley chopped, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook additional 1-2 minutes, stirring so it doesn't burn.
- Add all mushrooms and sautee. Stir in salt, pepper, sage, and rosemary. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and wine until all lumps are gone. Stir into pot and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup chicken stock with Greek yogurt. Stir Greek yogurt mixture and remaining chicken stock into the pot.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Portion into bowls and serve warm. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.