This buttery BLUEBERRY LEMON COFFEE CAKE is bursting with fresh berries and finished off with a crumble topping. It’s the perfect addition to any brunch menu!
There’s nothing like a good coffee cake recipe – I prefer my coffee cake to be full of fruit and a crumbly topping is an absolute must. This blueberry lemon coffee cake more than meets my requirements! I love to serve this cake as part of a brunch menu and I’ve also been known to make it for a quick grab-and-go breakfast option on busy weekday mornings. I love the simplicity of this recipe – I almost always have all of the ingredients in the house so that I can whip up a treat for breakfast right on the spot!
This blueberry lemon coffee cake is quick and easy to make. You can even prepare it a day in advance which I find to be so convenient when I’m hosting a brunch. The cake is almost like a giant buttery blueberry muffin, with the addition of plenty of lemon zest to really amp up the flavor. The topping adds just enough additional flavor and texture without competing with the bold flavors of the blueberries. I prefer fresh blueberries in this recipe, but frozen berries will work in a pinch. You can simply serve the coffee cake cut into squares, or if you’re feeling a little decadent add a dollop of freshly whipped cream.
I like to serve my coffee cake with extra fresh berries, lemon slices and mint leaves to make it even more special. The garnishes really elevate the cake to something out of the ordinary.
Whether you’re looking for a new quick-fix breakfast to add to your rotation or an elegant addition to a special occasion menu, blueberry lemon coffee cake recipe fits the bill. The lemon-blueberry flavor combination is a classic for good reason and this cake will definitely please all of the berry lovers in your life.
For the crumble topping:
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup 1 stick cold butter, cut into cubes
For the cake:
- cooking spray
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour +1 teaspoon to coat the berries
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- the zest of 2 lemons
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- lemon slices fresh blueberries, mint sprigs, whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the crumble topping: In a large bowl mix together the flour and brown sugar. Cut in the butter using 2 forks or a pastry blender until large, moist crumbs form. Place the crumble mixture in the refrigerator to chill.
- Coat a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and granulated sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy, approximately 1-3 minutes.
- Add egg and lemon zest; beat for 1 more minute.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately until just combined.
- Toss the blueberries with remaining teaspoon flour. Gently mix the berries into the batter; spoon into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle cake evenly with the crumble topping. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool completely. Cut into squares and serve with mint sprigs, lemon slices, whipped cream and blueberries if desired.
More berry recipes you might like:
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!