Loaded with hearty sausage and fresh veggies, this creamy, cheesy Sausage Hash Brown Casserole is easy to make and so delectable!
Sausage Hash Brown Casserole has been in my breakfast casserole repertoire for as long as I can remember! It’s an incredibly flavorful concoction that will make your family or brunch guests go nuts!
My kids go crazy for Tator Tot Breakfast Casserole every time I make it. However, nothing beats a tried and true favorite like this easy hash brown casserole.
It’s filled with sausage and veggies packed inside the most incredible creamy, cheesy hash brown mixture. You just HAVE to try this sausage breakfast casserole!
SAUSAGE HASH BROWN CASSEROLE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your BREAKFAST pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
I’m sure you’ve noticed that we love our breakfast casseroles around here. And this Sausage Hash Brown Casserole is one of our favorites! This recipe was inspired by a classic cheesy hash brown casserole recipe. The addition of veggies and sausage makes it the perfect complete breakfast, and it’s great for brunch too!
Ingredients for Sausage Hash Brown Casserole
- Pork breakfast sausage
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Cream of chicken soup
- Sour cream
- French onion dip
- Chopped green onion
- Chopped green & red bell pepper
- Ground black pepper
- Frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
I like to use reduced-fat sausage and light sour cream to cut some of the calories and fat. You can use full-fat ingredients if you prefer. Either way, this hash brown casserole will be extra creamy and decadent!
How to Make Hash Brown Casserole with Sausage
- First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and place a large skillet over medium heat on your stovetop. Cook the pork sausage until it is no longer pink. Remove the sausage from the skillet using a slotted spoon, and drain it on a paper towel-lined plate. This will help remove as much of the excess fat as possible.
- Mix together 1 3/4 cup of the cheese with the sour cream, French onion dip, veggies, and pepper. Then fold in the hash brown potatoes.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. After that, spread half of the cheesy hash brown mixture in the bottom of the dish. Spread the cooked sausage over top, then spread on the rest of the hash brown mixture. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for another 10 to 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Carefully remove your casserole from the oven and let it rest for about 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Then, spoon portions of the breakfast bake onto plates and serve warm.
To serve this hash brown breakfast casserole, pair it with fruit and a green smoothie. It makes the perfect brunch entree too!
Should I thaw hash browns before cooking?
I highly recommend thawing your frozen hash browns before adding them to this hash brown potato casserole. Potatoes are full of water and when they freeze, that water forms tiny ice crystals.
If the hash browns aren’t thawed before cooking, those ice crystals will melt in the oven, making the casserole too watery.
How do you reheat hash brown casserole?
The best way to reheat your leftover sausage hash brown casserole is to cover the casserole dish with foil. Then bake it in a 325-degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
The casserole should be heated through before serving. You can then bake it uncovered for an additional 5 minutes to brown the cheesy topping if desired.
Check out these other sausage breakfast recipes!
- Easy Cheesy Southwest Breakfast Casserole
- Egg and Sausage Casserole
- Cheesy Sausage Egg Hash Brown Cups
- Overnight Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
- Maple Sausage French Toast Bake
- More BREAKFAST recipes…
Tools used to make this Sausage Hash Brown Casserole recipe
Casserole Dish: This 9×13 glass casserole dish is my favorite dish for casseroles. I love that it comes with a lid, so I can easily cover and refrigerate leftovers.
Large Skillet: This skillet is perfect for cooking meats and sauteeing veggies. It’s the perfect size for cooking for a crowd!
*This post originally posted on 03/04/2013.
- 24 ounces reduced-fat pork sausage
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 10.75 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces light sour cream
- 8 ounces french onion dip
- 1 cup green onion chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 30 ounces frozen shredded hash brown potatoes thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove from skillet and put on a paper towel-lined plate to drain the grease.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, french onion dip, green onion, red and green bell pepper, and black pepper.
- Fold hash browns into the rest of the ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- Coat the bottom and sides of a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread half of the hash brown mixture in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top hash browns with cooked sausage, and then top with remaining hash brown mixture. Spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup shredded cheese on top of the casserole.
- Cover baking dish with foil and cook for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for an additional 10-20 minutes until casserole begins to brown on top.
- Remove from oven and rest for 5-10 minutes before spooning portions of the breakfast bake onto plates. Serve warm.