I love weekends and all the family time that comes along with them! The weeks get so busy with school, homework, sports for both kids, and the day to day routines. Saturdays get busy too with early morning sports and lately two sports in one day. My son just ended his basketball season, but he had a morning game and then an afternoon baseball practice. Now that basketball is over, our Saturdays will be filled with baseball practices or games and I absolutely love it. I love watching my kids in their sports, cheering for them, and photographing them in action. We are busy, but it is always an incredibly fun and exciting busy! Sunday is the only day I do not set an alarm and it is so nice to snuggle, relax, and enjoy the morning. Then I like to make a big breakfast for my family and sit down together to eat, talk, and laugh! This weekend, my husband was out of town and my parents were here visiting, so my mom and I made a delicious Sausage Hash Brown Casserole that I found in an old Taste of Home magazine. There was a similar flavor to Grandma’s Potatoes, but the added sausage made it a complete breakfast with added protein. Everyone loved it! We have some leftovers, so I am already thinking about eating it again tomorrow.
- 24 ounces reduced-fat pork sausage
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 10.75 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces light sour cream
- 8 ounces french onion dip
- 1 cup green onion chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 30 ounces frozen shredded hash brown potatoes thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove from skillet and put on a paper towel-lined plate to drain the grease.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, french onion dip, green onion, red and green bell pepper, and black pepper.
- Fold hash browns into the rest of the ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- Coat the bottom and sides of a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread half of the hash brown mixture in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top hash browns with cooked sausage, and then top with remaining hash brown mixture. Spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup shredded cheese on top of the casserole.
- Cover baking dish with foil and cook for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for an additional 10-20 minutes until casserole begins to brown on top.
- Remove from oven and rest for 5-10 minutes before spooning portions of the breakfast bake onto plates. Serve warm.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!