Sausage Egg Casserole is an easy breakfast casserole perfect for any day of the week. Ready in under an hour, every member of your family will want a bite!
Christmas morning is my favorite day of the year to make this Sausage Egg Casserole. I like to make this breakfast egg casserole pretty basic for the holidays when I am feeding a lot of different people so that more people in my extended family are happy with it.
I love to add bell pepper, mushrooms, green onions but there are too many people in my family that wouldn’t eat that and since simple is the name of the game I usually go basic but delicious! Looking for more classic breakfast casserole recipes? Try Meaty Eggs Benedict Casserole.
SAUSAGE EGG CASSEROLE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your BREAKFAST pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
When I was a kid I couldn’t wait to get downstairs and see what Santa had left for us. My parents, on the other hand, couldn’t wait for their coffee to be done brewing and had to have the camera set up just right to get shots of us coming in the room and getting our first sight of all the presents that jolly old man had left.
We would be left in our room for what seemed like an eternity waiting while they checked to make sure that Santa had left. They told us we didn’t want to accidentally see him and then have him take all the presents back, so we waited, and waited and waited until FINALLY someone would come in and let us know that the coast was clear!
Now I get to do this with my kids. I love watching them run in and see everything that is under our tree. We have a big family and I have very generous parents and so it is usually a crazy sight. I don’t want to miss a single thing to go cook breakfast, but that big bunch tends to get hungry towards the end of the present opening session.
One thing I never want to see is a group of sleep-deprived, hungry adults. Who knows what could happen. We still don’t want Santa throwing us all on the naughty list and coming back for the presents! 😉
So, my solution is to make breakfast dishes that I can get ready the night before and then just throw in the oven in the morning. This Sausage Egg Casserole is so easy to make and tastes great.
Ingredients Needed for Sausage Egg Casserole
- Pork breakfast sausage
- Ground mustard
- Sliced bread (cut into cubes)
- Shredded cheese
This breakfast casserole would be great topped with cheddar or gruyere, but you can use whatever cheese you have on hand.
How to Make Sausage Egg Casserole
- First, you’ll want to cook the sausage on your stovetop, then drain the fat from it and set it aside.
- Next, you’ll beat the eggs in a separate bowl and add the milk and spices. Add the bread cubes to the bowl so that they soak up the egg mixture, and gently stir in the sausage and cheese. Then place the casserole mixture in a baking dish.
- If you’re wanting to prepare this Sausage Egg Casserole in advance, you can cover it and refrigerate it for 8 hours or overnight.
- Take it out of your fridge about 30 minutes before you want to bake it so that the egg casserole mixture starts to come to room temperature and then bake it for 40 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F oven and serve warm. I like to garnish the top with some chopped green onion.
How Can I Dress Up this Sausage Egg Casserole?
There are lots of different ways to make this breakfast egg casserole your own. You can use mild or hot sausage, or even maple sausage to make it a little less savory. You can also add red, yellow, or green bell pepper, green onions, tomato, mushrooms, or any other veggie that you and your family like. The possibilities are endless!
Can I Double This Sausage Egg Casserole Recipe?
Of course! This recipe serves eight and can be baked in a 7×11 or 9×9 dish, so if you need to feed a bigger crowd, just double the ingredients and bake it in a larger baking dish.
More delicious breakfast casserole I know you’ll love!
- Overnight Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
- Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Sausage, Gouda, & Biscuit Breakfast Casserole
- Cheesy Bacon & Jalapeno Hashbrown Casserole
- Apple Raisin Breakfast Casserole
- More BREAKFAST recipes…
Tools used to make this Sausage Egg Casserole recipe
Skillet: This skillet is a great option for sauteing meats and veggies. It’s a high quality, durable skillet that will ensure that your food is cooked thoroughly.
Baking Dish: This is a fantastic 2-quart dish. It’s a must-have for any home cook and the perfect size for making breakfast casseroles.
*This post originally posted on 11/27/2012.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 8 eggs
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 6 slices bread cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheese whatever kind you have on hand
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in sausage.
- Cook and stir until sausage is cooked through, evenly browned, and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Stir in milk, salt, and mustard.
- Add bread cubes, cheese, and sausage into egg mixture. Stir to coat bread.
- Pour into a greased 7-inch x 11-inch baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove casserole from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake in preheated oven until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.