Start out your breakfast with this tasty HAM AND CHEESE EGG PASTRY TART. The flaky puffed pastry is perfect to nestle your other ingredients in!
We all know breakfast is the most important meal of the day right! So move over toast and cereal, today we are sharing an egg baked in a puff pastry shell with ham, red peppers, scallions and a mix of Mexican cheeses. You will love how easy it is to make and it’s a complete breakfast! One of these babies is very filling and a great way to start your day with veggies and protein.
I’m not sure about you, but during the week I usually have boring breakfasts. My time is limited as I don’t like to wake up too early 🙂 so I just sit down at the counter with a box of Cheerios or Chex, eat, then get ready for work and grab a cup of coffee to take along (coffee is key to my mornings!) The weekends are totally different though, we have time to relax and usually no place to hurry to, so we take advantage of the extra time to fuss a bit at breakfast. While these aren’t really fussy, they do take about 40 minutes from start to finish. But they are so worth the wait! Grab a cup of coffee while these are baking up and soon you will be sitting down to a breakfast that is great!
I would definitely try to personalize these a bit too. Start with the shell (puffed pastry is the best) and keep the egg (of course!) but what about some cooked bacon (we all LOVE bacon right)! Other ingredients that come to mind are cooked mushrooms, sausage, different cheeses like cheddar or swiss. Whatever you decide to try, you will love having this new breakfast alternative in your rotation!
Look how ooey, gooey this center is and all you have to do is grab a piece of the pastry and dunk it in – so separate toasted needed! Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- On a floured surface roll out the puff pastry to a 12" square then cut into 4 equal 6" squares and place on cookie sheet
- Lightly score about 1/2" around the edges
- Bake for 15 minutes; remove and press the centers down of each square
- Place each square 1/4 of the ham, scallions, red peppers then add 1/4 of the cheese
- Break an egg carefully into the center of each square and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Brush with the edges with the egg wash
- Replace back in oven and bake for 15-25 minutes depending on how you like your eggs (I did 20 for a slightly running center)
Looking for another breakfast idea? Ham and Leek Quiche is one of our favorites,
Duanette Kretschmann says
Would the breakfast tart be frezzable?