SOUTHWESTERN KALE SALAD is made with a variety of fresh vegetables and kale tossed in a cumin vinaigrette for a summer side you can’t beat!
The key ingredient to this Southwestern Kale Salad is the dressing. This dressing is from my favorite Southwestern Pasta Salad. I love that salad all because of the dressing. And whenever we have taco salad I have an excuse to make it. I drench my salad with it. But don’t you worry just add a drizzle to this salad and then serve the remaining dressing on the side so those that want more can add it. Always easier to add more than to try to wipe off your kale when you get too much, right?
With Spring here and summer right around the corner, I am in the mood for salad. In fact, 3 out of our 5 weekly meals are salad. Kale Caesar Salad and Cobb Salad and then this beauty. I thought my kids would groan and whine but luckily they gobbled them all up, it did help that I served all of them with chicken, making the salad part more appealing. Bribery always works too. Not that I do that (wink, wink).
Looking for something refreshing, yet bold. Try this Southwestern Kale Salad made with kale, peppers, black beans, corn, tomatoes and fresh herbs, it will not only impress you but your entire family.
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- 4 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 orange or red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 1 ½ cups diced cherry or cherub tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 3/4 cup cilantro coarsely chopped
- 2 avocados cubed (optional)
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked corn
- 1 cup Cojita cheese shredded
- Chopped chicken yummy addition
- In a small bowl combine all of the dressing ingredients and whisk to combine. Or simply add all of the dressing ingredients to a mason jar with a lid and shake to combine.
- Chop kale and gently squeeze it in your hands once you have chopped it, to help take away of some of the bitterness.
- Place kale in a large serving bowl. Top with bell peppers, tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro. Toss to combine. Top with avocados, black beans, and corn. Drizzle dressing over kale the kale, serve immediately or top with some crushed corn chips and serve.
Leave a Reply