Southwest Turkey Meatloaf is a great family dinner! It has a variety of ingredients and is full of protein! We love meatloaf and I enjoy using turkey to make it a little healthier. You can add additional toppings of your choice for extra flavor!
I have Mondays off of work and enjoy spending part of my day preparing a yummy dinner for my family! We were in San Diego, California for my cousin’s wedding over the weekend and ate a couple drive-through meals on the six-hour ride home. I was sick of cheeseburgers and french fries and wanted a good meal to satisfy my healthy cravings! Southwest Turkey Meatloaf was a perfect choice and my family loved it!
My kids were in the wedding as a flower girl and the ring bearer and they were so beautiful! They did a great job and I was so proud of them! The wedding was absolutely gorgeous and every detail was amazing! It was wonderful to see a lot of my family and celebrate a special day!
recipe from Better Homes and Gardens
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice I used brown
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 14.5 ounce can beef broth
- 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 pounds uncooked ground turkey
- 1 cup frozen or canned whole kernel corn thawed or drained
- 1/2 cup bottled picante sauce
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips or corn chips
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- optional toppings-Shredded Mexican-style four-cheese blend chopped tomato, snipped fresh cilantro, sliced fresh jalapeno pepper, avocado, and/or lime wedges
- In a large saucepan cook onion in hot oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender
- Stir in rice and garlic
- Cook and stir for 5 minutes until rice is brown
- Add beef broth
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat
- Simmer, covered, for 10 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender
- Stir in beans and set aside to cool slightly, about 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment paper and set aside
- In a large bowl combine turkey, corn, picante sauce, crushed chips, and taco seasoning
- Stir in rice mixture
- In prepared baking pan lightly pat turkey mixture into a 9x13 inch pan
- Bake for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until an instant-read thermometer inserted near the center of loaf registers 165 degrees F
- Let meat loaf stand for 10 minutes
- Optional-sprinkle with cheese, tomato, cilantro, avocado, and/or sliced jalapeno and serve with lime
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!