This Creamy Tomato Bisque is an easy soup recipe that is perfect for a quick homemade lunch!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Hunt’s . The opinions and text are all mine.
Real Housemoms TV
It’s been cold here in Portland and the kids have already had a few snow days. That means afternoons spent playing outside with friends racing down hills on their sleds. I know you all know what comes after a long, cold afternoon outside in the snow. The boys come home, kick their boots off at the door and want to know, “What’s for lunch?”
For those much needed lunchtime warm-ups I usually have a big pot of soup going and this creamy tomato bisque is one of my favorites. Who doesn’t love tomato soup right? Add a little cream to it and it becomes a rich, warm bisque that is the ultimate comfort food on a cold winter day. It doesn’t hurt that I can make a huge batch of it when the snow starts and have something to warm the kids up when they come in from outside.
The secret to packing this creamy tomato bisque full of flavor is using good quality tomatoes and Hunt’s Recipe Ready Tomato Paste. Have you seen this stuff? It’s so awesome! Usually when I have a recipe that calls for tomato paste I use 2 tablespoons and then I have to figure out what to do with the rest of it. I stick it in a small container and it winds up lost in my refrigerator for who knows how long. Each Hunt’s Recipe Ready Tomato Paste pouch contains two tablespoon of non-GMO tomato paste so you get just the right amount of tomato paste and none goes to waste. I love it!
The soup starts by lightly browning some onions and garlic then adding two tablespoons of the Hunt’s Recipe Ready Tomato Paste. Then you pour in a large can of Hunt’s Crushed Tomatoes and some chicken broth and you let the soup cook over low heat for about an hour. After all of those flavors have had a little time to meld together you blend everything together until it is smooth. I like to use an immersion blender so I can just stick it into the pot and stir everything around until the soup is nice and smooth but if you don’t have one you can let the soup cool a bit and then put it into a regular blended in batches.
You could stop right there and the soup would be delicious but don’t skip the next step! The cream is what turns this from plain old tomato soup into an amazing, rich and creamy bisque. Top it with a homemade garlic crouton or two and you’ve got the perfect lunch for snowy days. Make extra because it is going to go fast!
- 28 oz. Hunt’s Crushed Tomatoes
- 32 oz. Chicken Broth
- 1 pouch 2 Tbsp Hunt's Recipe Ready Paste
- 1 c Onion diced
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 c. Heavy whipping cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 French Baguette
- 1 stick Butter
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- In a large pot over medium high heat add the olive oil and the onions cooking the onions until they begin to soften, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the onions and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the Hunt's Recipe Ready Paste, Hunt's Crushed Tomatoes, and Chicken broth to the pot, stirring until everything is thoroughly combined. Turn the heat to medium low and cook for 30 min - 1 hour.
- When the soup has finished cooking use an immersion blender to blend the ingredients together until the soup is smooth.
- Add the heavy creamy stirring until combined.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Slice the baguette into 1/4-1/2 inch thick pieces.
- Melt butter in the microwave and add the garlic powder to it. Stirring to combine.
- Take each slice of baguette and dip both sides into the butter.
- Lay the slices on a baking sheet and place them in the oven under the broiler until golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!