This One Pot Mexican Chicken is an easy and family friendly meal that’s ready in no time!
ONE POT MEXICAN CHICKEN
Love it? Pin it to your DINNER board to SAVE it!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest for more great recipes!
I am always on the look out for new ways to do chicken. My kids could eat chicken every night, but us adults often crave a dish with bold flavors. This one pot Mexican chicken is flavorful enough to please the adults, yet familiar enough for the littlest palates.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
For this dish, you’ll need chicken breasts. I like to buy the thin-cut chicken breasts, they cook more quickly and evenly than thick chicken breasts. You could also use boneless skinless chicken thighs, but you may need to increase the cook time if you go that route. I season the chicken with some spices and sear it to golden brown perfection. After the chicken cooks, a bright and fresh tasting mixture of red onions, black beans, corn, fresh tomatoes, and cilantro is added to the pan. Craving a little spice? Feel free to add a can of green chilies, or even some fresh diced jalapeno to amp up the heat! The beauty of this dish is that it’s totally customizable – try pinto beans instead of black beans, or canned tomatoes instead of fresh for a different flavor.
I love how easy this dish is to put together, and that it only uses one pan. Any dinner that doesn’t make a huge mess is a bonus in my book! If you’re not into cilantro, feel free to substitute sliced green onions, or even minced parsley. I often serve this one pot Mexican chicken with a side of warm flour tortillas, shredded cheese and lettuce so that people can turn it into tacos if they like. However you decide to serve it up, this recipe is sure to make its way onto your regular dinner rotation!
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts thin cut preferred
- 1 tablespoon olive oil divided use
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15- ounce can of black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups of frozen corn
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 1 cup of chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnish if desired
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Sprinkle the garlic powder and cumin over the chicken breasts and season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the chicken in the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until done. Place the chicken on a plate and cover with foil.
- Place the remaining teaspoon of olive oil in the pan. Add the red onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until onion has softened. Add the corn and black beans to the pan and cook for 4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cilantro and lime juice. Season the mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the chicken from the plate and add to the pan; heat for 2-3 minutes or until chicken is warmed through. Serve, garnished with additional chopped cilantro if desired.
Other recipes you might like:
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!