This Crock Pot French Dip Sandwich is filled with moist, slow-cooked beef, melty cheese and dipped in the best beef broth you’ll ever taste.
Served on a warm toasted bun, this Crock Pot French Dip Sandwich is the most flavorful beef dip sandwich you will ever taste! Filled with tender shredded beef slow cooked in seasoned beef broth topped with melted provolone cheese, this sandwich will change your life.
SKIP THE DELI
I always love coming home to a ready-to-serve dinner, but this Crock Pot French Dip Sandwich is on a whole new level of yum. This is the kind of sandwich I only ever ordered at a deli or sandwich shop, but I may never need to do that again with this amazing recipe!
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH CROCK POT FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES
- Parmesan Rosemary Potato Chips – These simple and delicious homemade potato chips are the perfect simple side to your French dip sandwich.
- Sweet Potato Stacks – These fun and flavorful stacks are a great alternative to traditional sweet potato fries.
- Citrus Cilantro Slaw – Cold, creamy, crunchy slaw is the perfect classic sandwich side.
Beef: I use a 3-pound beef shoulder roast seasoned generously with salt and pepper when I make these French dip sandwiches.
Cheese: My family likes provolone, but you can use whatever cheese you love best. I do recommend having at least two slices per sandwich!
Rolls: Splurge on the freshest french bread rolls you can find! You won’t regret it.
Au Jus Dip: This delicious dip consists of beef broth cooked with onion and garlic and flavored with soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and bay leaves.
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES
STEP ONE: Start by laying the diced onion and chopped garlic on the bottom of your slow cooker. Next, in a small mixing bowl, combine the beef broth, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard. Once combined, pour the broth mixture into the slow cooker.
STEP TWO: Prepare the beef roast by rubbing it generously with salt and pepper to season. Be sure to cover all the sides of your roast and place it into the slow cooker on top of the onion and garlic. Place the bay leaves into the crock pot on opposite sides of the roast and cover the pot. Cook the beef on LOW for 7 hours.
STEP THREE: Once it is finished cooking, remove the beef roast and shred the meat. Return the shredded beef to the crock pot and allow it to cook in the juices while you prepare the rolls.
STEP FOUR: Slice the rolls in half, length-wise and place them on a baking sheet cut-side up. Toast the rolls until they are golden brown and then remove them from the oven.
STEP FIVE: Place shredded beef on the bottoms of the rolls and top with two slices of provolone cheese each. Return the bottom halves of the rolls to the oven to allow the cheese to melt. Once melted, remove the sandwiches from the oven and replace the top bun. Serve each sandwich with a side of the au jus to dip and enjoy!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Make sure to allow your meat some time for the juices to drain off before placing it onto the bottom half of your bun.
- Don’t forget to trim the extra fat off your beef roast prior to slow cooking it.
- Consider buttering your rolls before toasting them for added flavor.
WHAT IS AU JUS?
Au jus in French means “with juice” and refers mainly to meat dishes that are served with broth or gravy. The juice in the case of this Crock Pot French Dip Sandwich is the delicious broth that the beef roast has been slow cooking in all day long. This rich and flavorful broth is the cherry on top of this moist and meaty sandwich.
HOW TO SAVE LEFTOVER FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES
For obvious reasons, I don’t recommend saving already assembled French Dip sandwiches. However, if you have leftover shredded beef you can simply store it in the fridge until you are ready for round 2! I recommend storing the beef and most of the Au Jus separately. I leave just enough broth in the beef to keep it from drying out. To reheat, you can simply return it to the slow cooker to warm it up or use the stovetop if you need a quicker option.
OTHER AMAZING SANDWICHES AND SLIDERS
- Roast Beef Horseradish Cheddar Sliders
- Philly Cheesesteak Sliders
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Baked Club Sliders
- Cuban Sandwich
*This post originally posted on 02/24/2014.
- Add the onion and garlic to the bottom of a slow cooker.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the beef broth, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard. Pour into the crock pot.
- Rub beef roast all over with salt and pepper. Place the roast on top of the onions in the crock pot. Add the bay leaves on each side of the roast.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours.
- Remove the roast and shred the meat using two forks. Return the beef to the broth, stir, and let it soak up the juices while you prepare the rolls.
- Slice the rolls in half lengthwise. Toast on a baking sheet, cut side up, in a 350 degree F the oven until golden brown.
- Remove the rolls from the oven. Divide the shredded beef evenly among the bottom halves of the rolls. Then cover each sandwich with two slices of provolone cheese. Return the bottom of the sandwiches to the oven until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the french dip sandwiches from the oven. Place the top of each roll onto the sandwiches. Serve with a little bowl of the au jus from the slow cooker for dipping.