These Slow Cooker Beer French Dip Sandwiches are an easy way to get dinner on the table and they taste better than at a restaurant!
I got this easy dinner recipe from my best friend Judy. We were both just learning to use our crock pots a few years ago and we would often exchange recipes. She told me I had to try the beer french dips. That they were one of the best crock pot recipes she’d ever had.
There are two ways you can make this recipe, you can do either a can of French onion soup (Campbell’s) with a can of beer or a packet of Au Jus Gravy mix and a can of beer like I did in this recipe. Either way, you make it, these turn out great. I often order the pot roast french dip at restaurants, but I never know how long ago the restaurant made the roast. Making this at home I know exactly what I am eating. Try this meal for a weeknight dinner or for entertaining on game day.
- 5 large rolls
- 10 slices cheese such as Swiss or provolone
- Sprinkle the roast with the salt, pepper, and onion powder. Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a small amount of cooking oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Brown the roast on all sides. Place the roast into a 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Sprinkle the Au jus packet over the roast, then pour over the beer.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- After the roast is cooking, I like to put the roast on a large plate, shred it with two forks, and discard any fat. Cover the plate with foil.
- Next I like to strain and degrease the Au Jus before serving. I do this by pouring the juices from the slow cooker through a metal strainer over a large bowl, discard the stuff in the strainer. Add the juices back to the slow cooker. Let the juices sit for a moment, and using a spoon, scrape off any fat off the top, and discard.
- Preheat the oven to Broil.
- Split, and put the rolls onto a sheet tray, and add the shredded meat to each roll. Top each sandwich with 2 pieces of cheese. Place the sheet tray with the sandwiches under the broiler until the cheese is melted (about 3 minutes).
- Ladle the Au jus from the slow cooker into small bowls and serve with the sandwiches.