When the family is craving sweet and savory potatoes, serve up these light and fluffy bites of Sweet Potato Tots!
Sweet Potato Tots are crispy little clouds of potato goodness that are super easy to make and so easy to love! The perfect complement to any dish, Sweet Potato Tots are a mix of sweet potatoes, flour, garlic, cinnamon, and salt that have a little crunch on the outside and are fluffy on the inside so each bite is amazing.
Who Doesn’t Love Potatoes?
I belong in the camp of people who believe there should be some form of potatoes at every dinner. I can’t help it- potatoes are so versatile and the ideal vehicle for so many flavors! I think the sweet potato is the most amazing because I can make it sweet or savory depending on how I’m feeling and what I’m making. And they’re so stinking good for you too! Tater tots are just plain fun so making Sweet Potato Tots was an easy win in this house. I get most of our dinner done while the sweet potatoes are roasting and then mixing and frying the tots are all that’s left to do and I get high fives all around for a great meal.
Other Recipes to Serve with Sweet Potato Tots
- Best Burger Recipe would be a killer main dish for these Sweet Potato Tots- burgers and tots are best friends after all.
- Fry Sauce is a yummy dipping sauce perfect for these tots and just about any other fried potato!
Veggies: You’ll need two large sweet potatoes.
Seasoning: A simple mix of garlic powder, salt and cinnamon are all you need.
Pantry: You’ll need flour to coat the tots and oil to fry them.
How to Make Sweet Potato Tots
STEP ONE: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Roast the sweet potatoes for about 45 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Allow the potatoes to cool. With a small knife, peel the skin from the sweet potato.
STEP TWO: Using a box grater, like for cheese, shred the sweet potato, using the large holes on the grater. In a medium bowl, mix the grated sweet potato, 2 tablespoons of flour, and the seasonings.
STEP THREE: Roll the sweet potato mix into 1-inch logs. In a shallow bowl or pie plate, spread the flour across the bottom and roll the logs through the flour, shaking off the excess.
STEP FOUR: Add the oil to a skillet and heat on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Add the Sweet Potato Tater Tots to the pan until they cover the bottom without crowding and cook for 1 minute. Flip each tot and cook for another minute. Continue this process until all of the tots are cooked. Serve warm and enjoy!
Tips for Success
- Make sure the oil is nice and hot before you add the Sweet Potato Tots so they get crispy but if your oil starts to smoke, turn the heat down and allow the oil to cool just a bit before adding more tots- you don’t want them to burn.
- Grating the sweet potatoes instead of mashing them gives the tots a lighter texture, rather than a dense one.
Can I Freeze Sweet Potato Tater Tots For Later?
Yes! Once the Sweet Potato Tots are fried and have cooled, you can cover them tightly and pop them in the freezer for later. When you’re ready for them, cook them in the oven at 400 degrees F for about 10 minutes.
What Should I Dip Sweet PotatoTots In?
Just like regular tater tots, ketchup is perfect for dipping these tots, or your favorite aioli. Trying kicking up the heat with a Siracha Mayo mix!
Need More Tots or Sweet Potatoes on Your Table?
- Taco Tater Tot Casserole
- Sweet Potato Stacks
- Easy Sloppy Joe Casserole
- Baked Sweet Potato
- Sweet Potato Rounds with Goat Cheese
*This post originally posted on 03/27/2014.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Poke holes all over the sweet potatoes with a fork. Then place into the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until fork-tender. Remove the potatoes from the oven and allow them to cool until they can be handled.
- Once cooled, use a paring knife to remove the skins from the potatoes. Then grate the potatoes with a box grater using the large holes.
- Place the grated sweet potato into a medium mixing bowl. To the bowl add 2 tablespoons of flour, salt, garlic powder, and cinnamon. Mix until evenly combined.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup of flour into a shallow dish, like a pie plate. Set aside.
- Roll 1 tablespoon of the sweet potato mixture into a 1-inch log (think tater tot shape). Then roll in flour until the outside is coated; shake off any excess flour. Repeat with the remaining potato mixture.
- Add the oil into a skillet with high sides. Place over medium heat and allow the oil to get hot for 5 minutes.
- Place 8 tots into the oil at a time. Cook for 1 minute per side. (Chopsticks work great for flipping them!) Remove the tots from the oil to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tots and then serve warm.