This SLOPPY JOE CASSEROLE made from a delicious homemade Sloppy Joe recipe is topped with tater tots for the ultimate comfort food dinner!
I took a spin on an old classic and created a masterpiece. No joke. I love my homemade Sloppy Joes but we’ve always eaten them on a bun with tater tots on the side. Turns out cooking the tots with the Sloppy Joe is downright perfection!
If you’ve never made homemade Sloppy Joes, they’re about a thousand times better than mixing ground beef with sauce from a can. A sauce that is most likely filled with a bunch of junk you don’t want in your body. Making them from scratch is super easy and the flavor can’t be beat.
I have to tell you that my kids were particularly impressed with my tater tot concentric circle design, as was I. Do you see all that steamy goodness rising up from the pan? MMMMmmmm delicious! This is the best kind of comfort food dinner you can find!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper finely chopped
- 15 ounces no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Black pepper to taste
- 32 ounces frozen tater tots (1 package)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a large 12 or 13-inch oven-safe skillet, brown the ground beef with the onions and the bell pepper over medium-high heat until the meat is fully cooked, about 10 minutes. Break the meat up as it cooks.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except the tater tots and stir well to combine.
- Arrange the tater tots in a single layer on top of the sloppy joe mixture in the pan.
- Bake uncovered until the tater tots are cooked through and golden brown, about 25-30 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the oven and serve warm.
If you like comfort food for dinner, you’ll love this individual bacon wrapped meatloaf:
And who could resist homemade perfect chicken parmesan: