Mashed Cauliflower is creamy & smooth for a delicious low-carb side dish. Ready in just 20 minutes, you’ll love this mashed cauliflower on its own or with your favorite potato toppings!
As much as I love mashed potatoes, I’m always looking for ways to get my family eating more veggies. This cauliflower mashed potatoes recipe is a big winner at my house. Creamy and velvety smooth, this mashed cauliflower recipe satisfies all my mashed potatoes cravings. For the ultimate low-carb dinner, I like serving up this Mashed Cauliflower alongside pork chop recipes and prosciutto wrapped asparagus. Everyone is in the clean plate club on those nights!
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SIDE DISH pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Real Housemoms TV
Springtime is here and that means we’re at the in-between place. Between our hard-core days of New Year’s resolutions and the freak-out before summer and bathing suit season arrives. So it’s the perfect time to add some freshness and lightness to your meals! And this mashed cauliflower is a delicious way to do it!
Cauliflower mash is so super creamy and velvety smooth and it’s ready in just 20 minutes. Plus, you can add any of your favorite mashed potato toppings to this – extra butter, chives, a sprinkling of paprika, shredded cheese or cooked, crumbled bacon. You know I love me some toppings.
Now, to be clear, you’re not going to be fooling anyone with this dish. It tastes like cauliflower, not mashed potatoes. As it should. But it’s WAY lower in carbs, gives you an extra veggie for the day, and you can happily eat forkful after forkful while you eye your summer wardrobe. If you haven’t yet, I hope you give mashed cauliflower a try!!
How to make cauliflower mash
- Steam cauliflower until tender.
- Puree in a food processor with butter, Greek yogurt and sour cream until smooth.
- Serve warm with or without loaded potato toppings.
Want more cauliflower recipes?
- Low Carb Cauliflower Breadsticks
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Cheesy Cauliflower Pancakes
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- Slow Cooker Cauliflower Cheese Soup
- More side dish recipes…
Tools used to make this Mashed Cauliflower recipe
Steamer Basket: Great for getting veggies nice and tender or cooking dumplings, this steamer basket is a kitchen essential!
Large Pot: This pot is a kitchen essential for everything from dinner to desserts. I use mine all the time and with proper care, it’ll last for years and years.
Food Processor: Slice, chop, and grate anything you need with this food processor. I’ve had this model for years and use it all the time. It’s a great workhorse in my kitchen and I’d recommend it to anyone!
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt (or sub sour cream)
- 2-3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the cauliflower florets in a steamer basket in a pot with water, cover the top, bring to a boil and steam for 10-15 minutes, until very tender. (The exact time will depend on the size of your florets.)
- Drain the cauliflower well and pay dry.
- Transfer the steamed cauliflower to a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients, starting with 2 tablespoons of butter, and process until smooth.
- Taste and add salt, pepper or more butter as desired.Serve hot and enjoy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!