Tender, crispy Jalapeno Lime Chicken Wings are a game night game changer! The sweet and spicy sauce elevates these oven-baked chicken wings from appetizer to dinner favorite! Be prepared to make more – these mouthwatering wings will disappear fast!
No matter how you like them – barbecued, smoked, baked, fried, in the air fryer or slow cooker – chicken wings are so tasty! And while traditional buffalo wings are made with sour vinegar and hot cayenne marinade, our recipe for Jalapeno Lime Chicken Wings uses sweet honey to meld the spicy peppers and tangy lime juice in the absolute best hot wing sauce ever! Plus, they’re paleo friendly!
Budget-friendly Jalapeno Lime Chicken Makes Everybody Happy!
If your people love chicken wings as much as mine, you know that getting takeout wings is expensive! At nearly $2 PER WING, they can be budget-breakers! But with this recipe, you can save tons of money without sacrificing flavor! Jalapeno hot wings are just bursting with flavor!
A package of uncooked chicken (wings or drumettes) is all you need to get started on the tastiest chicken wings you’ll ever make! Throw in a jalapeno pepper and a couple of limes and the rest comes together with ingredients you already have in your pantry.
Other Recipes to Serve with Jalapeno Lime Chicken Wings
What are chicken wings without celery and carrot sticks?
- This Homemade Ranch Dressing is so good, you’ll want to dip everything in it – carrots, chips, fries, even your wings!
- Or try a Super Thick Creamy Bleu Cheese Dressing as your condiment of choice. You’ll love it!
Chicken: Wings and drumettes, fresh or frozen (and thawed)
Seasoning: Jalapeno, lime, honey, garlic & onion powder, butter, salt & pepper
Garnish: Jalapeno slices, cayenne pepper, cilantro
How to Make Jalapeno Lime Chicken Wings
STEP ONE: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F a spray a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. (If you prefer, line it with foil and then spray.) Combine onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Toss the raw chicken wings in the spice mixture.
STEP TWO: Arrange the wings on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 20-25 minutes.
STEP THREE: In a large bowl, melt the butter and then whisk in minced jalapeno, lime zest, and honey. Add the baked wings into the bowl and toss to coat thoroughly.
STEP FOUR: Return the chicken wings to the baking sheet. Pour any extra sauce still in the bowl over the wings. Increase the oven temperature to broil and cook just long enough to lightly brown the meat. Remove the wings from the oven. Transfer to a serving bowl or platter and garnish with jalapeno slices, minced cilantro, and/or a sprinkle of cayenne pepper. Serve immediately.
Tips for Success
- If you have time and want crispy wings, rinse your raw chicken, pat dry, and refrigerate uncovered for 1-24 hours.
- If you don’t have time to dry your chicken skin before baking, lightly toss the raw chicken in baking powder (NOT baking soda) before tossing them into the seasonings.
- Remove the seeds from your jalapeno to reduce the heat from the pepper. Leave them in if you want extra hot wings!
- This wing recipe could also be done on the grill or in the air fryer.
How long does it take to cook chicken wings?
How long it takes to cook chicken wings depends on the chosen method of cooking. For this juicy oven-baked recipe, the wings are crispy and ready to eat in 35 minutes – probably less time than it would take to call in an order and have it delivered!
How long can cooked chicken be left out?
Cooked chicken can safely sit out at room temperature for about 2 hours. It can be left out a bit longer if kept in a warmer above 140 degrees F.
Other Recipes for Chicken Wings
- Jerk Chicken Wings
- Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
- Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings
- Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Root Beer Chicken Wings
- Grilled Honey Sriracha Chicken Wings
- Crock Pot Chicken Wings
- Grilled Honey Hot Wings
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Baked Chili Rub Wings
*This post was originally posted on 11/15/2017.
Jalapeno Lime Sauce
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely minced
- 2 limes zested and juiced
- ¼ cup honey
- Jalapeno slices
- Lime slices or wedges
- Cilantro chopped
- Cayenne pepper
- If time permits, prepare chicken wings by rinsing them under water, patting them dry, and allowing the wings to sit in the refrigerator uncovered for 1 to 24 hours. This will help get the skin nice and crispy.
- When you're ready to cook, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and coat a rimmed baking sheet with some non-stick cooking spray. (For easy cleanup, you can line the baking sheet with foil before spraying.)
- In a small bowl, combine onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle the seasoning over the chicken and toss to coat.
- Arrange the wings on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Remove from the oven.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, jalapeno, lime zest, lime juice, and honey. Whisk well. Then add the chicken to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Return the wings to the baking sheet and pour any sauce in the bowl over the wings. Increase the oven temperature to high broil. Cook the wings, watching closely, and broil only until the chicken starts to brown.
- Remove the wings from the oven and transfer to a serving bowl or platter. Garnish with additional jalapeno slices, lime slices, minced cilantro, and/or cayenne pepper. Serve immediately.