Baked Chili Rub Wings are seasoned to perfection, baked until juicy on the inside, crispy on the outside and can be prepped ahead then baked when its Go Time!
Whenever I make those wings, I have to pry my hands away from devouring the spice-rubbed chicken wings before they are enveloped in the sauce. They are so addicting without the sauce that my husband actually prefers his wings with just the spice rub because not only are they favor bursting, but they stay nice and crispy. So to satisfy out wing cravings, I whipped up these Baked Chili Rub Wings. No sauce needed! Just crispy, juicy wing perfection!
BAKED CHILI RUB WINGS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your APPETIZER pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
So naturally, I knew just what had to be done: to create the most dynamite spice rub ever so the wings are stand-on-their-own-addicting without an enveloping sauce. Done and done. However, you’ll still want to dunk you Baked Chili Rub Wings in either Homemade Ranch Dressing, Super Thick & Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing, or Avocado Ranch Dressing, because the tangy chilled dressing creaminess is the perfect complement to these crunchy, spicy baked wings.
What make these chicken wings so crazy good is the intoxicating spice rub – and it’s so easy! Once you pat your chicken dry (because drier chicken equals crispier skin), they get tossed in the Chile Spice Rub. THis rub consists of chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, ground cumin, salt, pepper, brown sugar to balance the heat and the secret ingredient, baking powder. The results are layers of dynamic flavor with just the right amount of kick. Next, all we have to do is bake our wings – how easy is that! You can even prep them with the spice rub before baking and refrigerate for up to 6 hours so all you have to do is bake them! But if you’re a sauce lover, try my Baked Honey Buffalo Hot Wings!
To get these wings crispy without frying we use the baking powder trick, but don’t worry, your wings will NOT taste like baking powder. The simplified science behind baking powder NOT BAKING SODA is that baking powder is composed of an acid which draws moisture to the surface of the chicken skin where it evaporates. The heightened pH level causes the peptide bonds in the skin to break down which accelerates the browning process so your chicken can get nice and crispy!
These Baked Chili Rub Wings are the perfect appetizer! Unintentionally gluten free, healthier with less fat, and fewer calories than deep fried wings, but intentionally crispy and lick-your-fingers-delicious! You can have your oven baked chicken wings and your Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball too.
Want more chicken wing recipes?
- Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings
- Jerk Chicken Wings
- Grilled Honey Sriracha Chicken Wings
- Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
- Jalapeno Lime Chicken Wings
- More appetizer recipes…
Tools used to make this Baked Chili Rub Wings recipe
Baking Sheet: A nice big baking sheet is a must have for any kitchen. This half pan sheet is large than a regular cookie and works great for anything you’re baking.
Wire Rack: I keep a few of these cooling racks in my kitchen so I’m ready for any recipe I want to bake.
Mixing Bowl: These mixing bowls are perfect for mixing and serving. I love the varied sizes so I always have to right size bowl for all my mixing needs.
Tongs: A good pair of tongs is a kitchen essential. I like having a couple sizes – a longer set for grilling and a shorter set for stovetop cooking.
- 24 chicken wings with skin rinsed and patted dry (approx 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup. Top baking sheet with a baking rack and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together Rub Ingredients. Add half of the Rub to a large freezer bag. Add half of the wings and shake until coated evenly. Line wings on a prepared baking rack so they are not touching. Add remaining Rub ingredients and wings to a freezer bag and repeat.
- Bake on the upper middle rack for 40-50 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Move oven rack approximately 6-8" from broiler and broil to desired crispiness, watching closely so they don't burn. Optional: Flip chicken wings over and broil the other side until crispy.
Don't miss a bite!
Want to receive our recipes and custom meal plans right to your inbox? Make sure to subscribe & get a copy of Dinner Made Easy - 10 simple dinner ideas that only need one pot or pan!