Garden Fresh Caprese Turkey Burgers are good for you and just plain good! This juicy burger is loaded with veggies and is great for grilling!
Bite after bite of a Garden Fresh Caprese Turkey Burger will have you loving everything about summer, especially all of the fresh veggies packed into this moist burger! Mix up these patties using ground turkey, grated onion, grated zucchini, and the perfect touch of seasonings. Don’t forget all of the toppings that really complete this burger, like mozzarella, tomato, and basil for those caprese flavors everyone loves!
When the veggie garden, or even the supermarket, is bursting with fresh veggies you know it’s time to enjoy all of those light dishes that make summer awesome. We love grilling in the summer, or really as long as the weather holds out, so we need months of mouth-watering recipes to make, which is how we found our favorite Garden Fresh Caprese Turkey Burgers! Turkey is the perfect choice for these juicy burgers because it’s light and allows veggie flavors to shine, and the caprese toppings are like taking bite after bite of pure summer goodness.
There are so many goodies to squeeze onto the grill for an amazing dinner like Grilled Corn on the Cob plus deliciously gooey S’mores Campfire Banana Boats to celebrate the end of a great meal!
Other Recipes to Serve with Garden Fresh Caprese Turkey Burgers
- Make your side dishes as tasty and fun as your turkey burgers, and serve crispy Air Fryer Green Beans to wow the crowd!
- Start the Caprese party off right with Caprese Salsa– it’ll be gone before you even fire up the grill!
Turkey: To make these burgers, you will need two pounds of ground turkey.
Veggies: Grate both an onion, to give your burgers delicious flavor, and a zucchini for added veggie power and to keep the burgers moist.
Bread Crumbs: You will need Panko bread crumbs to make these turkey patties. This recipe uses plain bread crumbs but if you have Italian bread crumbs on hand that will work too.
Seasoning: Set out the salt, pepper, garlic, and oregano to season these burgers.
Toppings: Classic Caprese toppings are a must for these burgers, so purchase thick-sliced mozzarella cheese, a tomato to slice, and fresh basil.
How to Make Garden Fresh Caprese Turkey Burgers
STEP ONE: In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey, grated onion and zucchini, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic, and oregano and mix well.
STEP TWO: Divide the mixture into eight balls and form the balls into patties.
STEP THREE: Once the grill is hot, place all of the patties on the grill and cook. When a burger has a small pool of liquid in the center, you know it’s ready to be flipped. Continue to cook the patties until they reach your preferred doneness.
STEP FOUR: Before you pull the burgers off the grill, top each one with a slice of mozzarella cheese and a slice of tomato. Cover the grill for a few minutes to allow the cheese to melt. Place the burgers on a hamburger bun and top with tomato slices and fresh basil leaves. Then add your favorite burger condiments if you like.
Tips for Success
- Caprese turkey burgers are also great to freeze for later! Make up the patties, and once they’ve been formed, put however many patties you don’t need right away into separate ziplock bags or layer wax paper between each patty and place the stack into a large ziplock bag. Pop these into the freezer and enjoy them within three months.
- When grilling any meat, it’s important not to overcook it, so keep an eye on it and check the temperature. Test your turkey burgers to ensure they reach 165 degrees F before calling them done.
- Cover this turkey burger with all of your favorite condiments, keep it plain, or go for that Caprese experience by topping your burger with a great balsamic glaze- it ties everything together!
Are turkey burgers healthy?
Turkey burgers have long been touted as the healthier alternative to beef burgers, and it’s true. Compared to beef burgers, there is less fat overall and, more importantly, less saturated fat, which is a big concern for people who have high cholesterol or a family history of it. Both turkey and chicken are healthier than beef, but when everything is enjoyed in moderation, you can still eat what you like most.
What’s the best way to grill turkey burgers?
Some people find turkey burgers harder to grill because they’re not as hearty as beef. When grilling turkey burgers, there are a few general things you can do to keep your patties together and juicy. First, preheat your grill. The less time a burger has to sit on a grill and cook, the less likely it is to fall apart. Secondly, ensure your grill grates are coated with high-temperature oil to prevent sticking. Once you’ve placed the burgers on the grill, let them cook for a few minutes before flipping. Flipping burgers too early or too often can cause burgers to fall apart. Lastly, make sure to use a spatula for flipping the burgers so that you can scoop under them and turn.
More Great Burgers to Devour!
- Campfire Cheesy BBQ Burger
- Greek Turkey Burgers
- The Ultimate Burger
- Salmon Burgers
- Salsa Verde Turkey Burger
*This post was originally posted on 04/23/2013
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella (thick slices)
- 8 slices tomato
- 16 leaves fresh basil
- 8 burger buns
- Balsamic glaze (optional)
- Condiments of your choice
- Preheat your grill or a grill pan on the stovetop to medium heat.
- Mix the ground turkey, grated zucchini and onion, bread crumbs salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano together in a large mixing bowl until evenly combined.
- Divide the turkey mixture into eight equal portions and then form them into patties.
- Place the burger patties on the hot grill and cook for 10-12 minutes over direct heat, flipping once. When the burgers have about 3 minutes left, place 1-2 slices of mozzarella on each patty so that the top is covered. Once the burgers reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F and the cheese has melted, they're ready. (see note)
- Take the burgers off the grill. Place a burger patty onto a bottom burger bun. Top with a tomato slice and some fresh basil. Drizzle with balsamic glaze if desired. Add the top bun and any condiments you like before serving warm.