Delightfully simple and light Salmon Burgers are the tastiest alternative to a traditional beef burger patty.
These phenomenal Salmon Burgers are made with fresh salmon seasoned to perfection, coated in breadcrumbs, and fried to a perfect golden brown. Super flavorful and juicy, these burgers only take 15 minutes to make and are such a great alternative to beef!
THE BETTER BURGER
Why cook frozen burger patties when it is so easy to make super fresh and healthy Salmon Burgers? These homemade salmon burgers are high in protein and low in saturated fat and a great source of omega-3 fatty acids!
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH SALMON BURGERS
- Oven Baked Crab Fries – These baked fries are the perfect side for homemade Salmon Burgers!
- Asparagus Fries – Another crunchy and delicious yet healthy side pairing that goes great with your burger!
- Classic Coleslaw – I love this coleslaw on the side of, or on top of, my Salmon Burger!
Salmon: You will need one pound of fresh salmon that has been deboned and has had the skin removed.
Veggies: Add in one medium-sized diced brown onion. You can also add chopped parsley if you’d like.
Seasoning: Season the burger meat with mayonnaise, dijon mustard, lemon juice, bread crumbs, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste. You will also coat the burgers in breadcrumbs to create the perfect crunchy coating.
Sauce: The perfect sauce for these easy-to-make salmon burgers is a simple mix of mayonnaise and hot sauce! I like to use Sriracha.
HOW TO COOK SALMON BURGERS
STEP ONE: Start by cutting the deboned and de-skinned salmon into small-sized chunks and placing them into a food processor. Turn the food processor on and let it run until the salmon becomes pasty. Stop the processor to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula if needed.
STEP TWO: Once pureed, add in the diced onion, parsley, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, 4 tablespoons of bread crumbs, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste. Pulse the processor a few times until all the ingredients are well combined.
STEP THREE: Next, on a medium-sized plate, spread out the remaining breadcrumbs. Divide the salmon mixture into six equal parts and gently form it into balls. Once you have 6 formed balls, roll them gently in the breadcrumbs to coat all sides and flatten them slightly to form the burger patties.
STEP FOUR: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat on the stovetop. Once the oil is hot, fry the salmon burger patties on each side for about 2-3 minutes, or until they are crisp and golden. Once cooked, transfer the patties to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and absorb excess oil.
STP FIVE: Assemble these fresh, delicious salmon burgers on a soft bun with some lettuce and slices of tomato and red onion before serving them warm. For extra flavor, combine mayo and hot sauce for the perfect sauce to drizzle on the buns!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- You can make the burgers larger by dividing the salmon mixture into four portions instead of six.
- When rolling the salmon mixture into balls, I like a keep a small bowl of water on hand to wet my fingers if things start to get sticky.
- Depending on the size of the burgers and the skillet being used, you may need to cook these Salmon Burgers in batches. Over crowding the pan will keep the breadcrumbs from crisping up.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice on each patty before serving for the perfect tangy touch.
ARE SALMON BURGERS HEALTHY
Salmon is a wonderful protein and makes a darn good burger too! It is high in protein, low in saturated fat, and chock full of omega-3 fatty acids which are a great energy source and help to keep your body healthy! Salmon is also lower in calories and fat content than beef which makes it a great alternative dinner option!
HOW LONG TO COOK SALMON BURGERS
I recommend cooking these Salmon Burgers for 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown. If you are making larger burgers they may take longer to cook through because of the thickness of the patty. If you are unsure whether or not they are ready, the only way to know for sure is to test the temperature of the meat. To ensure the salmon has been cooked thoroughly the meat thermometer should read 145 degrees F.
OTHER FANTASTIC FISH RECIPES
- Fish Filet Sandwich with Homemade Tartar Sauce
- Fish Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw
- Tuna Avocado Sushi Cups
- Smoked Salmon Crostini
- Salmon with Angel Hair
- 6 leaves lettuce
- 6 slices tomato
- 12 slices red onion
- 6 burger buns
- Cut the salmon into smaller chunks and put into the bowl of a food processor. Turn on the processor and let it run until the mixture becomes paste-like. Stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl if needed.
- Once the salmon is pureed, add the onion, 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs, mayo, lemon juice, Dijon, parsley (if using), salt, pepper, and cayenne to the bowl. Pulse a few times until all the ingredients are combined.
- Divide the salmon mixture into 6 equal portions and gently form into balls. (To make it easier have a small bowl with warm water next to you to dip your fingers in it.)
- Spread the remaining 3/4 cup of breadcrumbs onto a plate. Then dip each salmon ball into the breadcrumbs and flatten slightly before flipping to coat the other side to form patties.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add in the oil. Once hot, fry the patties for 2-3 minutes on each side until crisp and golden brown. Don't overcrowd the pan – you may need to cook in batches. Transfer the patties to a plate lined with paper towels to drain the excess oil.
- Assemble the burgers with some mayo and a drizzle of hot sauce spread on the top and bottom buns. Top the sauce with lettuce, a salmon burger patty, tomato slice, and some sliced red onion. Serve warm.