Sweet and tangy Key Lime Whipped Lemonade is the perfect summertime sip that can double as a family-friendly drink or a refreshing cocktail!
A pitcher of this sweet, sour, and addicting Key Lime Whipped Lemonade is the perfect way to satisfy a thirsty crowd. This refreshing mix of lemon, lime, pineapple juice, and sprite can be jazzed up with a splash of vodka or kept non-alcoholic to quench everyone’s thirst!
THE BEST SUMMERTIME SIPS
I love when the days start to grow longer because I know that summer is just around the corner! This year, get a head start by trying out some awesome new drink recipes, like this Key Lime Whipped Lemonade!
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH KEY LIME WHIPPED LEMONADE
- Fresh Pineapple Salsa – This fresh salsa is a great snack to munch on with a refreshing lemonade in hand.
- Grilled Caprese Chicken – Simple, clean and healthy, this grilled chicken is a summertime favorite.
- Fresh Peach No Bake Cheesecake – Finish the perfect summer night meal with this fruity no bake cheesecake!
Lemonade: Give this lemonade cocktail a fresh start by boiling lemon juice, sugar, and lemon zest to create the perfect lemon simple syrup base.
Mixers: Chilled pineapple juice, Sprite, and key lime juice make up the rest of this refreshing lemonade cocktail.
Alcohol: A splash of whipped vodka turns this drink into the ultimate summertime cocktail. If you can find it, Pinnacle key lime whipped vodka really takes this drink up a notch.
Add-ins: I love to add frozen pineapple chunks to help keep this drink cool. Garnish with slices of lemon and lime to finish it off!
HOW TO MAKE KEY LIME WHIPPED LEMONADE
STEP ONE: Start by adding 1/2 cup of fresh-squeezed lemon juice, 1/3 cup of sugar, and a 1/2 tablespoon of lemon zest to a small saucepan. Bring it to a boil until the sugar has dissolved and allow it to cool.
STEP TWO: Strain the lemon syrup into a 2.5-quart pitcher. Add in 2 cups of cold water, 40 ounces of chilled pineapple juice, 24 ounces of chilled Sprite, and 1 cup of key lime juice to the pitcher. Stir the pineapple lemonade mixture well before pouring.
STEP THREE: Add some whipped vodka to each individual cocktail glass so that the Key Lime Whipped Lemonade in the pitcher stays family-friendly.
STEP FOUR: Pour the lemonade into glasses with frozen pineapple chunks as “ice cubes” and garnish with lemon and lime slices.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- If you decide to add ice to your drinks avoid adding it to the pitcher. This will keep the lemonade from becoming diluted and watery.
- The whole family will love this drink so make sure to only add the vodka to individual glasses so your little ones can go back for seconds from the pitcher! Or if you’re having an adults only brunch, you can add 1 to 1/2 cup of vodka to the pitcher itself.
HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE LEMONADE
Typically homemade lemonade will last in the fridge for about a week. However, this recipe uses carbonated Sprite so unfortunately this Key Lime Whipped Lemonade will start to go flat in the fridge. If you don’t have as many people to serve, I recommend dividing the recipe in half so you don’t end up with lots leftover.
CAN I USE PRE-MADE LEMONADE?
If you use regular lemonade in this recipe it will lose some of the lemon zings that it gets from the lemon juice and sugar syrup. With that being said, you can always experiment with adding in chilled lemonade or defrosted lemonade concentrate. I just prefer the fresh, simple flavor you get from working with freshly squeezed lemon juice.
OTHER REFRESHING DRINK RECIPES
- Orange Strawberry Rose Sangria
- Arizona Mule Cocktail
- Watermelon Sangria
- Summer Vodka Fizz
*This post was originally posted on 06/07/2013.
- Add the lemon juice, sugar, and lemon zest to a small saucepan. Place over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the lemon syrup into a large pitcher. Pour in the water, pineapple juice, Sprite, and key lime juice. Stir to combine.
- Add some frozen pineapple chunks to a glass (instead of ice) and pour in the lemonade. Garnish with lemon and lime slices if desired.
- For adults: Pour 1 to 1.5 ounces of whipped vodka into a cocktail glass and then fill with lemonade.