Make this complete Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken and Veggies meal without heating your kitchen!
I don’t know about you, but it seems that summer is flying by! Camping, swimming and summer camps, and now I have to think about school supply shopping already! I don’t back down on my slow cooker meals in the summer. In fact, I think I use my slow cooker more in the heat of the summer.
This complete meal of Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken and Veggies is an easy meal to throw in the slow cooker on our way out the door swimming or errand running. I like lighter meals in the summer, I don’t always make a starch side, and my family never complains. I start with cooking the chicken for 4.5 hours first, then I add the zucchini and squash and cook for an additional 1.5 hours. I love that this is one of my best crock pot recipes because of how easy it is to make, and it tastes great!!
Get more great recipes like this one on our Real Housemoms Dinner pin board!
- 1 4-5 lb. whole chicken thawed
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce divided
- 2-3 small zucchini and squash sliced (don't add these until the end)
- Place 5 foil balls into the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Remove anything from the inside of the chicken (like the neck, etc.) and discard. Place the chicken on top of the foil balls. Brush the butter onto the chicken, sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Brush 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce on the chicken.
- Cover, and cook on LOW for 4.5 hours. Don't open the lid while this is cooking.
- After the chicken has cooked for 4.5 hours, open the lid and add the sliced zucchini and squash and cook for 1.5 hours longer on HIGH (I do this part on HIGH because heat escapes when I open the lid to put in the veggies).
- Brush the chicken with the other 1/2 cup BBQ sauce and serve.
You may also like: Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes