Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili is an earthy, slightly sweet, and spicy blend of pumpkin puree, black beans, chicken, vegetables, and, of course, spices and fresh herbs. All of these wonderful flavors combine to create a comforting bowl of chili that will warm you through and through.
If you live in FL, you probably think I’m crazy to be making chili this early in the season!! If you don’t live in FL, you should know it’s still a bit warm here, but I’ve been craving a little taste of fall lately, so chili it is!
We had a long, hot summer, and I’m ready to welcome in the cooler weather with open arms and my Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili recipe! The earthy, slightly sweet flavor of the pumpkin adds a nice touch to this black bean and chicken chili. The flavors balance out perfectly and the beautifully vibrant color of this stew is as warm and inviting as the amazing aroma that engulfs the house while it’s slow cooking away all day.
This recipe is so easy to make! It does require cooking the chicken meat with some of the vegetables and spices first, but then everything goes into the slow cooker on the low setting and you get to walk away until you have one of the best crock pot recipes! I like that! It gives me extra time to bake up some sweet and slightly crunchy cornbread to go with the chili.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 medium yellow onion diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cans 15 ounces each black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- 1 can 14 1/2 ounce diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili base I used Better Than Bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon dried parsley
- kosher salt & freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Garnish with Freshly chopped cilantro or parsley, diced green onions, & shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and allow to brown nicely on one side, about 4 minutes. Using the edge of the spatula, break up the chicken into ground chicken pieces, and add 1/2 cup onion with 1 tablespoon garlic. Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper. Stir to combine and cook another 4-5 minutes until cooked thoroughly.
- When the chicken is cooked, transfer it to a 5 quart slow cooker and add 2 cans of black beans, 1 can of pumpkin puree, 1 can diced tomatoes, 2 cups chicken broth, 2 teaspoons chili base, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, and 2 teaspoons dried parsley. Stir to combine and give it a taste. Add salt and pepper as needed and adjust the seasonings to your liking. If you like it a little more spicy add another teaspoon of chili base.
- Cook on low for about 6 hours. Enjoy!
Be sure to check out my Skillet Cornbread Recipe that pairs perfectly with this Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!