This simple and classic dessert is the Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe and it’s perfect for your holiday table. It’s a pumpkin pie that’s as delicious as it is beautiful!
One of the staple recipes that every Thanksgiving table needs is a quality pumpkin pie. It’s right up at the top of my holiday menu with Sweet Potato Casserole. And if there is one time of year to make from scratch pie, it is Thanksgiving. However, we all know how crazy busy cooking for Thanksgiving can be, so while this best pumpkin pie recipe is homemade, it has a few shortcuts to help make things easier.
BEST PUMPKIN PIE RECIPE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your THANKSGIVING pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Ready to make the best pumpkin pie you’ve ever had?!
- Shortcut 1: Use canned pumpkin – Not the pumpkin pie mix, just the pumpkin puree stuff that comes in a can. No need to bake your own pumpkin and make a puree. Feel free to use the canned stuff. It still tastes great. And is soooo much easier. When I first started making pumpkin pie I used Libby’s Pumpkin Pie recipe from the back of the can, but now this pie recipe is my favorite.
- Shortcut 2: Buy a pre-made pie crust – And to simplify more, I didn’t bother making a crust. This pie uses a pre-made crust to speed things along. But of course, feel free to make your own pie crust if you want. Honestly, if you have a great pie crust recipe, or know what kind of pie crust you love (buttery, shortening, etc.) then use that. But a quality pre-made frozen (not pre-baked) pie crust will save you time and hassle.
Easy Pumpkin Pie Recipe
This pie is super fun and cute because of the pie crust leaves on the top, but making a tasty whipped cream can also enhance the pie. So feel free to add whipped cream! Homemade is best here.
How to make the best pumpkin pie recipe
- Par-bake your pie before adding the leaves. Bake 15 minutes, add leaves, bake the rest.
- Use an egg wash if the leaves don’t brown enough, and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Bake until center doesn’t jiggle, and a knife comes out clean
- Cover edges with foil to keep them from burning or browning too much.
- Let cool for a minimum of 2 hours before serving.
Of course, a good pie needs a good turkey for Thanksgiving to be complete, so check out this post for How To Cook the Perfect Turkey, crispy skin, tender juicy meat. It gets raves reviews and will help make your Thanksgiving a real hit. And another favorite for Thanksgiving is this Cranberry Jello Salad.
Want more great pumpkin recipes?
- Pumpkin Spice Donuts
- Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake Dip
- Pumpkin Spice Truffle Bark
- Crock Pot Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Pumpkin Toffee Poke Cake
- More dessert recipes…
Tools used to make this Pumpkin Pie recipe
Mixing Bowl: These mixing bowls get used just about every day at my house. The grip handle makes them easy to hold and the pour spout makes them perfect for batters!
Stand Mixer: I don’t know what I’d do without my stand mixer. I use it for just about everything…and I mean everything! Cakes, cookies, mashed potatoes, and shredding chicken!
Pie Plate: A good pie plate is a kitchen essential for any home baker. I really like this plate! It’s a little deeper than your standard pie plate and has a lip that makes decorative edges easy.
*This post originally posted on 11/16/2017.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, add eggs, sugar, cinnamon, ground ginger, and nutmeg/cloves, pumpkin, and evaporated milk. Use a hand beater and mix until fully combined.
- Place your pre-made pie crust into a pie plate (if needed) and the pie plate on a baking sheet to prevent spilling. Pour pumpkin filling into the pie crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425.
- While baking, roll out your pie crust dough and use cookie cutters to cut out leaves. Use a toothpick to draw on the veins of the leaves.
- Remove pie from oven, turn oven down to 350°F.
- Place the leaves on top of the pie, arrange as desired. Use foil to cover the outside edges of the crust so they do not get too brown or burn while baking.
- Return pie to oven, and bake about 45 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Place pie on a cooling rack and let cool completely, about 2 hours. Refrigerate until ready to serve.