These Hasselback Sweet Potatoes are tender, melt-in-your-mouth and bursting with garlic herb, butter flavor! They look wonderfully gourmet for Thanksgiving and special occasions but are everyday easy!
Are you in love with sweet potatoes?! Even if you aren’t, I can guarantee you will be after one bite of these delectable Hasselback Sweet Potatoes! They not only are company beautiful but boast a crispy outside and soft, creamy inside. While these Hasselback Sweet Potatoes look impressive, the only thing you have to know how to do is slice and stir in order to make them. Let’s get started!
HASSELBACK SWEET POTATOES
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SIDE DISH pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
First, choose narrow sweet potatoes (I buy the garnet yams) that are uniform in size and scrub them clean. Pat dry and place on a cutting board. Next, slice the potatoes into 1/8-inch slices without slicing all the way through the potato – you will want to leave about ½ inch of the potato intact on the bottom.
Now, what takes these sweet potatoes from good to AMAZING – the Garlic Herb Butter! To make, whisk together, melted butter, olive oil, freshly minced garlic, parsley, chives, thyme, rosemary, paprika, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. It’s a few ingredients but all you do is dump and whisk for a super quick, super delectable butter bath that creates a dynamic, balanced medley of flavors to infuse your potatoes through and through.
Brush this butter over the potatoes, including in between the slices. You don’t have to be too meticulous about getting in between the slices because the potatoes bake for 40 minutes and then we will brush with butter again. After the 40 minutes, the potato slices are much easier to fan so you can smother the butter in every nook and cranny.
Bake for another 10-20 minutes or until the potatoes are super tender in the center with a nice crispy outside. Top your Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with either Goat Cheese (my fav!) or sour cream or both and your ordinary sweet potato has just become Hasselback Sweet Potatoes and the star of the night!
Want more sweet potato recipes?
- Sweet Potato Stacks
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Turkey & Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls
- Sweet Potato Clouds
- Chicken Apple Sausage & Sweet Potato Hash
- More side dish recipes…
Tools used to make this Hasselback Sweet Potatoes recipe
Knives: A good set of kitchen knives is essential for any cook. This set is the best one I’ve owned so far and it comes with a knife block, steak knives, and an array of larger knives perfect for all your slicing, chopping, and cutting needs.
Mixing Bowl: These mixing bowls are perfect for mixing and serving. I love the varied sizes so I always have to right size bowl for all my mixing needs.
Baking Sheet: A nice big baking sheet is a must have for any kitchen. This half pan sheet is large than a regular cookie and works great for anything you’re baking.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes/garnet yams
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley finely chopped (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives or 1 tsp. dried
- 1 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves or heaping 1/4 tsp. dried
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary or heaping ¼ tsp dried
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- pinch ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Wash and dry potatoes. Make a series of 1/8-inch slices along the top of each potato, stopping 1/2 inch from the bottom.
- Stir together all of the Herb Butter ingredients. Brush the potatoes all over (including the bottoms), and in between the slices with half of the Butter.
- Bake sweet potatoes on prepared baking sheet for 40 minutes then remove from oven. Reheat butter if necessary then brush all of the remaining Butter all over sweet potatoes, including in between slices (I use a fork to fan out the slices).
- Return to oven and bake another 10-20 minutes OR until the center potato slices are very tender. Brush baked potatoes with any remaining butter that has accumulated at the bottom of the pan.
- Serve with Herb Goat Cheese or Sour Cream.
You might also like: