Perfectly marinated Chicken Satay is not only easy to make, but your family won’t be able to get enough of this delicious peanut sauce dip!
Super flavorful and tender Chicken Satay is marinated in a simple mix of lime juice, soy sauce, and peanut sauce and is perfect for family dinners or entertaining friends. This delicious and simple peanut sauce doubles as part of the marinade and as a sweet and spicy dip.
THE BEST FOODS COME ON STICKS
Not everything that is served on a stick is bad for you! Everyone in my house loves Chicken Satay and I love that I can marinate and cook it in an hour!
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN SATAY
- Cucumber and Onion Salad – This cool and tangy salad is a great contrast to a creamy peanut sauce.
- Greek Pasta Salad – This chilled pasta salad is an all-time favorite in my house.
- Cauliflower Rice – This recipe is as close to the real thing as I’ve ever found!
Peanut Sauce: This simple sauce is made with creamy peanut butter, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, brown sugar, and hot water.
Marinade: Combine some homemade peanut sauce with soy sauce and lime juice for this amazing marinade.
Chicken: Cut boneless skinless chicken breasts into 1-inch strips.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN SATAY
STEP ONE: Start by making the homemade peanut sauce. Combine the creamy peanut butter, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, and brown sugar into a food processor and blend it together. Slowly add in the hot water while pulsing the food processor until you reach the desired thickness.
STEP TWO: Next, make the marinade by combining the juice of 1 lime, soy sauce, and some of the homemade peanut sauce into a small bowl whisking until it’s smooth. Then pour the marinade into a food storage bag along with the strips of chicken. Seal and allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
STEP THREE: While the chicken is marinating, soak wooden skewers in water for at least 10 minutes and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Once the chicken has marinated add a strip of chicken to the skewer twisting it back and forth like an “S”. Next, add oil to a skillet large enough to fit the chicken skewers and heat it over medium heat.
STEP FOUR: Place the chicken skewers down and cook them for 3 minutes on each side or until they turn golden brown. Remove the chicken skewers from the skillet and place them onto a baking sheet. Place them in the oven for 15 minutes or until they are cooked all the way through. Serve Chicken Satay with peanut dipping sauce and enjoy!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- I use low sodium soy sauce and honestly can’t taste the difference.
- If you prefer, you can cook these chicken skewers on the grill over medium-high heat.
- You can prep the skewers ahead of time, place them on a tray, cover them with plastic wrap, and keep them in the fridge until you’re ready to cook.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to serve a crowd.
WHAT IS CHICKEN SATAY?
Satay is a dish made of marinated, skewered chicken that is served with a delicious peanut sauce for dipping! Similar to a kebab, this simple dish goes great with rice or a cool cucumber salad!
WHAT GOES WITH CHICKEN SATAY?
Chicken Satay makes a great appetizer or a main course. I love to serve it with a green veggie or an Asian slaw. It also goes well with coconut rice or a pad thai. This amazing homemade peanut sauce is definitely the star of this show so you can get away with a simple side dish.
OTHER EASY CHICKEN RECIPES
- Busy Weeknight Baked Chicken Breast
- Slow Cooker Thai Sweet Chili Chicken
- Baked Pineapple Chicken Thighs
- Honey Mustard Chicken Kabobs
- Creamy Lemon Chicken Breast
- Southern Oven Fried Chicken
*This post was originally posted on 02/06/2014.
- Add the peanut butter, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, and brown sugar to a food processor. Puree to blend.
- Slowly add water while pulsing the food processor until your desired sauce thickness is achieved. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the soy sauce, 3 tablespoons of peanut sauce, and lime juice. to a small bowl Whisk until smooth.
- Place the chicken strips into a gallon-size food storage bag with the marinade. Seal the bag, smush everything around, and then allow to sit for at least 30 minutes.
- While the chicken marinates, soak some wooden skewers in water for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add a strip of chicken to each skewer, twisting back and forth so it looks like an "S".
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet that can fit the skewers and place over medium heat. Place the chicken skewers in the skillet and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until a deep golden brown color forms.
- Place the skewers on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm with the peanut sauce for dipping.