Cook up some yummy Thai food in your own backyard with these sweet and tender MANGO CHICKEN SKEWERS!
Happy grilling season people!!! I love cooking on the grill! Maybe it’s because I wasn’t able to use it for five months (thank you Nebraska winters) so it makes it new and exciting again. But I think it’s actually the amazingly delicious recipes I can make using it; like these Mango Chicken Skewers!
It’s evident from all the Thai recipes on my blog that I am obsessed with Thai food. Many Thai dishes are slightly sweet (I’ve got a major sweet tooth) yet still savory and cilantro (my favorite herb) goes great with just about all of it.
This is some of the best grilled chicken I’ve had in a while. It’s beautifully marked by the grill but still incredibly moist. And the flavor! Guys, this is where it’s at! The chicken is marinated in an amazing sauce made up of mangoes, coconut milk, lime, fresh ginger, and a few other yummies. Just make sure you remember to set some of the sauce aside before mixing it with the chicken so you have uncontaminated sauce to dip your cooked chicken in.
If you’re using wooden skewers, learn from my mistakes and soak longer than the 30 minutes minimum or else you’ll have lots of burnt sticks in the bottom of your grill. I recommend soaking them a few hours. Better yet, just soak them overnight… or get metal skewers. You’ll be making these again so it’ll be worth it. Insert winky face here.
Serve your Mango Chicken Skewers over some Thai Coconut Rice (super easy and WAY worth it) with some fresh mango slices, and a sprinkling of fresh cilantro. Voila! Easy, gorgeous, and tasty chicken your friends and family will love! If you’re not a fan of Thai food already, you will be after you try this recipe! Enjoy!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 20 long strips
For the Sauce/marinade:
- 1 large mango peeled, pitted, diced
- 6 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce optional
- Coconut Rice
- 1 mango peeled and sliced
- Place wooden skewers in water and allow to soak for at least 1 hour (let them soak overnight for best results).
For the Sauce/marinade:
- Place all sauce ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Reserve 1 cup sauce for serving.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken and remaining sauce. Let the chicken marinate at least 15 minutes (or several hours if making ahead of time).
- Grease/oil grill before turning on. While grill is heating up, skewer chicken. Discard marinade that is in the bottom of the bowl.
- Grill over high heat for about 3 minutes per side or until browned. Brush with some of the 1 cup reserved sauce and then serve over coconut rice with extra sauce and sliced mangoes.